Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Legacy w/o roof rack...it needs one!

Hey guys! I'm shopping for a roof rack from my 1991 Legacy wagon. The car didn't come with roof rails/racks, though. From a little searching, I've found some racks that bolt to the rain gutters. Unfortunately, there were no names and prices listed.

I'm specifically looking for a safari rack to carry that oversized 29in. spare I'll need, also mount some lights, and give a little extra storage space up top. The largest safari rack I can find would be nice :D.

Thoughts?

I probably flubbed up the terminology...it's the plastic piece that lines the windows up top that flakes off from black to chrome :lol:. It doesn't have cast gutters or anything, but I don't know which models came with rain gutters and roof racks or not (L's, Outbacks, etc?) It's a wagon with a flat roof. I'm not walking out in the snow to look, but I can tell you it's flat and that trim piece chips like most other old legacies ;).

I'd still really love to find a safari rack or yakima racks that I could get a basket for. It's probably so simple I'm making it complicated, but I've never wanted to shop for a roof rack until now. This one doesn't have factory roof racks, so I'm still a little puzzled where they would mount. Somebody has to have made something already for these cars.

(rant)

Would this be a good project to practice some welding and whatnot? I could trim it, fit it, and make it level. A good bead on it is the real question. I just don't have much practice welding, but my geometry is fine. There's 4 mounting points for the roof, and I want to spread them as far apart front to back as I can. 2 big rectangles of approx 4ftx3ft with legs and crossbars for the base. 1in box-tubing would work fine, maybe a tad smaller? It doesn't need to be "beefy". It's just a basket. Short 4in legs give the upper lip some height.

I think 35ft-ish of tubing total, maybe (6)6ft-bars? I have a 110 wirefeed welder that I never use, but I learned how to lay a semi-decent bead with it. I think it takes argon or some other inert gas to improve the welds, but I could run it without it and have splattered results. I don't think this would require MIG/TIG, would it? I'd cut a 45 degree corner on the ends of the tubing, tack it together, and stitch it up. Tack the legs on, weld the bases, and repeat for the upper lip. Prep the surface, then paint my new basket black :).

(/rant)

(rant)

Would this be a good project to practice some welding and whatnot? I could trim it, fit it, and make it level. A good bead on it is the real question. I just don't have much practice welding, but my geometry is fine. There's 4 mounting points for the roof, and I want to spread them as far apart front to back as I can. 2 big rectangles of approx 4ftx3ft with legs and crossbars for the base. 1in box-tubing would work fine, maybe a tad smaller? It doesn't need to be "beefy". It's just a basket. Short 4in legs give the upper lip some height.

I think 35ft-ish of tubing total, maybe (6)6ft-bars? I have a 110 wirefeed welder that I never use, but I learned how to lay a semi-decent bead with it. I think it takes argon or some other inert gas to improve the welds, but I could run it without it and have splattered results. I don't think this would require MIG/TIG, would it? I'd cut a 45 degree corner on the ends of the tubing, tack it together, and stitch it up. Tack the legs on, weld the bases, and repeat for the upper lip. Prep the surface, then paint my new basket black :).

(/rant)

You want to weld it out of 40 feet of steel tubing??? that *might* be a little heavy.. Angle would probably suffice, with a few bit of steel here and there.

Also, if you DO try to fab up your own, do NOT forget about wind resistance and your fuel mileage.. Unless you incorporate some way or removing it when not in use.

I must honestly confess I know nothing, myself.. I just started asking myself how much all that steel would weigh, thats all. I have also read threads here about people's fuel mileage being adversely effected by adding a roof rack, so I figured I would remind you of that, as well.

This is also the "older gen" forum that is more primarily based on the 80's style soobs.. even though they kept making them until 93 or 94, as loyales. Your car would qualify for the "newer generation" even though it IS a '91.

could we get a moderator to move this one somewhere he might get more responses??

As I see you are from outerspace I might recommend finding a auto accessory store or a place that sells skis or even bikes,you may not find your exact idea but it would give you a starting point to modify or weld a basket onto it. My rack fastens over that rail you are talking about,actually fits over it then slides underneath it on the bottom,plus it locks on. Mine is designed more like a ladder rack with the ski rack and bike mounts being removable.Just gonna have to look around,I think building one would be to heavy for the available fastening spots unless you weld it directly to the car.

I went to Thule, but wasn't sure which rack to use. I still need to hit up a junkyard as well. I'm a little too stuck on making things myself and was simply brainstorming. $1000 worth of basket + rails on top of a $250 car doesn't really make much sense :dead: . I searched like hell here looking for pics, posts or anything else and found nada. It wasn't in any faq's, either.

Outside of a roof rack, what about a rear spare tire carrier that swings out so you can open the hatch?

I guess I should have said I was thinking more along the lines of not actually buying from one of the shops but getting ideas for design. My car isn't home right now but I would venture to say that the entire system is built of aluminum as it only weighs maybe 20 pounds with all the accesories attached, I take the attachments off when I'm not using them because they cause annoying noises when not loaded.If you are comfortable welding aluminum this may be an option to build your own,I'm not a welder so couldn't tell you if your mig would work on aluminum.Junkyard is a really good option but you'll still have to craft a basket most likely. I'll have to look at the rear of my wagon to see if there is even room to mount a rear tire mount much less structural integrity.

John

Here are some pictures:

0107071100gu2.th.jpg 0105071241beg6.th.jpg newlegacyxr6.th.jpg

wrackwr8.th.jpg rackon0.th.jpg v24brgs0.th.jpg

When you put your car in on the thule website it comes up with the bars, feet, and fit kit you need. Price was $305. Then from that you'd have a pretty good base to build something or put ski holders on or whatever.

I basically need to carry a full size spare with the lift, but didn't want to carry it in the back of the wagon. That's my main issue. There's plenty of room back there, but I'm keeping as much of this space open as possible. There's room for me to sleep back there on road trips and still carry virtually anything! A safari rack seemed like a good idea. A swing arm would be nice but I'm pretty sure no one makes those.

I bought the car mostly gutted already. There's 6ftx4ftx3ft worth of space in the back. It narrows to 3ft between the rear wheel wells, but there's enough room back there to do something with. I'd like compartments to store stuff and I can build those rather easily. The rear quarters by the taillights are open for little tool compartments in the back. I'd really like to wire an 110v converter to the back so I can run a bike pump or plug stuff in. The back seats are gone, so building over the rear foot wells is another option for utility space. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm going to do a freakish little monster garage job on it. I'm lifting it and using it for more utilitarian purposes.

Who needs a big excuse to hack a cheap car? ;)

this country bumkin is corn-fused

as you say

"If there's something ready made, I'd be all over it..."

Then come back with

"I'm a little too stuck on making things myself"

???????????

I like your ideas about DIY.

Maybe you could start a post

"Lets see your home made roof baskets"?

Bunch of them out there.

ESP in the "off road" section

Here is a "look see" for some ideas

on the rear tire carrier.

Hope it helps.

JC Whitney can be your friend

G_17143G_CL_1.jpg

Hooo-wheeee, Cleatus! That right thar dun work good!

;)

It needs a link, BTW. I searched JC whitney but found this instead of what you had listed. $20

G_17131G_CL_1.jpg

Sorry to sound so discombobulated about things. I get excited when it comes to modding things. I have so much to say and my wrists get tired when on a forum-whoring streak :dead: . Giving you specifics usually gets me further, even if you think I'm a country bumpkin from outerspace ;). It's possible to have enough options that you get lost in all of them...

I should change my username to "LegaN00b"...