Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield Wiper Travel Adjustment?

The front windshield wipers on my '99 Outback Wagon hit the wiper stop on the bottom and the windshield trim on the side of the glass - the arc of travel is too great. Does anyone know if this is adjustable?

Just unbolt the arm and move it a tooth or two.

nipper

Nippy, I think he means that the arm travels too far in the up AND down swing. Have you checked that the linkage and the attaching nut is secure? Is it noticeable just on one side? Correct size wipers... I guess this might not be as critical but just asking questions... nosey, huh.

Just unbolt the arm and move it a tooth or two.

nipper

The wiper (driver side only) hits both the stop on the bottom and the molding on the top, more so when the windshield is wet. It is not an adjustment issue. I suspect the linkage is worn, but haven't taken it apart yet. Are there bushings? If so, are they servicable, or must I replace the wiper transmission. Thanks for the replies>

Yes you are. :rolleyes:

Another thing is to check and see if there is any play in the wipers when they are off. This would let us know if there is any wear in the bushings.

nipper

The attaching nut is tight, the wipers are the correct size, and the problem is only on the drivers side (more pronounced when the glass is very wet). I suspect the linkage is worn, but have not disassembled it yet. I assume there are bushings on the ball joints (?); if so, do you know it they are serviced seperately, or must I replace the wiper transmission assembly. Thanks for your response.

Nippy, I think he means that the arm travels too far in the up AND down swing. Have you checked that the linkage and the attaching nut is secure? Is it noticeable just on one side? Correct size wipers... I guess this might not be as critical but just asking questions... nosey, huh.