Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's that dead horse? Cooling system q's

:horse: ah here it is. Anywho, my car started to ?overheat? I think, about a week ago. It would be going fine, the temp would look ok and then I would turn off the car and go to turn it back on a few minutes later and it wouldn't start. I had to let it sit for like 10 mins and then it would start and run fine. So in the finest traditions of doing the right thing the wrong way I figured the cooling system could use some help. I replaced the hoses, thermostat (non oem replacement(I will be putting the old one back until I can get to a dealership) To get back on track, why did my car not start? And what is this airbleed screw in the radiator I keep hearing about but can't seem to find. Also the car has 163,000 on it and I don't think the water pump has ever been replaced. Could this be part of the problem? I think I am going to replace it as well as the timing belt this week (I have both). Any advice would be appreciated since my car is OOC until I get this resolved.

Thanks,

Bryce

:horse:

Maybe that should be the USMB symbol for over heating.

The bleed screw is on top of the radiator opposit the radiatore cap. It will look like a large philips head screw. be kind to it as its plastic.

Now when you over heat, do you have heat coming out of the heater core.

Right now what I would do is check the coolant level and make sure its full.

Did you cook the eingine? If you did, change the oil asap. Did you over heat it till it stalled?

nipper

:horse:

Maybe that should be the USMB symbol for over heating.

The bleed screw is on top of the radiator opposit the radiatore cap. It will look like a large philips head screw. be kind to it as its plastic.

Now when you over heat, do you have heat coming out of the heater core.

Right now what I would do is check the coolant level and make sure its full.

Did you cook the eingine? If you did, change the oil asap. Did you over heat it till it stalled?

nipper

I'm not sure if I cooked the engine or not. I overheated it until it started lurching and then pulled over and let it cool. The temperature seems to be intermitten coming out of the vents. One minute it will be hot and the next cold. Another thing I didn't mention is that I'm pretty sure the timing belt has never been done before either and I've been planning on doing that for a while so it shouldn't be too much more of a hassle to do the water pump at the same time. I just need hope that and an oem thermostat will solve the problem. I guess as a precaution I will heed your advice and change the oil.

I'm not sure if I cooked the engine or not. I overheated it until it started lurching and then pulled over and let it cool. The temperature seems to be intermitten coming out of the vents. One minute it will be hot and the next cold. Another thing I didn't mention is that I'm pretty sure the timing belt has never been done before either and I've been planning on doing that for a while so it shouldn't be too much more of a hassle to do the water pump at the same time. I just need hope that and an oem thermostat will solve the problem. I guess as a precaution I will heed your advice and change the oil.

ok it sounds like air in the system, but just to be sure, fill the system with coolant, let the car warm up with the cap off, and look for bubbles inn the cooling system. No bubbels your HG is probably ok, if you got bubbles you ned to think about what you want to do next

nipper