Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TIRes?

i know tis has been asked a bout a trillion times but what the hay, What are the biggest tires i can put on my 88 dl ? i already know about re drilling hubs but what is the "contreversy" over re drilling rims?

idk if i have to chop or cut just an excuse to go by a new power tool!

sorry for the re-peat but please help out?

thanks spokane soob

the rim offset is how far out the wheels stick from the car.

the hub of the wheel is set somewhere between the outside edge of the rim, and the inside edge of the rim. IIRC, dead centered on the rim is zero offset, and so on.. unsure what the stock offset is, but changing it changes not only your wheel clearance inside the fender, but also you steering and suspension settings...

Ever see a junked up honda with wheels sticking out like, six miles, and notice that the camber was off?? (meaning the tops of the tires pointed towards the middle of the car) THAT is because they have absurdly offset rims, and havent fixed their suspension and steering geometry.

And you thought geometry class wasnt gonna impact the real world! :-p

Ever see a junked up honda with wheels sticking out like, six miles, and notice that the camber was off?? (meaning the tops of the tires pointed towards the middle of the car) THAT is because they have absurdly offset rims, and havent fixed their suspension and steering geometry.

And you thought geometry class wasnt gonna impact the real world! :-p

Ive tried out 3 diffrent offsets on my subaru (original, pugs and opel frontera) and they all didnt change my camber. The offset has nothing to do with yor suspension setup.

Ive tried out 3 diffrent offsets on my subaru (original, pugs and opel frontera) and they all didnt change my camber. The offset has nothing to do with yor suspension setup.

it sure does on the front wheels!!! the further from the car the wheel sits, the more length from the bearing housing the weight lies, and the more leverage action it gets, pushing the camber out of whack.... it might not be incredibly NOTICEABLE until you get extreme (you havent seen what some of these guys here in the US do to their cars, its BAAD) and in the case of a lifted soob, it might even be beneficial.. all these "mights" are quite beyond my area of expertise.. but abnormally wide rims, or abnormally wide offsets on your rims, definitely impact your camber...

On a 6" wide rim you'd like 25mm offset for the subarus. That means where the wheel bolts to the hub is 25mm towards the outside of the car from the center of the wheel.

I hope I'm not just confusing everyone.. :-\

I'd drill the hubs as you don't have to worry about making the tapper in the rim. And it looks cleaner. But thats just me.

it sure does on the front wheels!!! the further from the car the wheel sits, the more length from the bearing housing the weight lies, and the more leverage action it gets, pushing the camber out of whack.... it might not be incredibly NOTICEABLE until you get extreme (you havent seen what some of these guys here in the US do to their cars, its BAAD) and in the case of a lifted soob, it might even be beneficial.. all these "mights" are quite beyond my area of expertise.. but abnormally wide rims, or abnormally wide offsets on your rims, definitely impact your camber...

wider offset wheels doesn't change your camber, camber can only be changed by leghtening your lower control arms, by moving your strut top in towards the center of your car or by lowering or raising your car through suspension changes. as far as the camber issues of those hopped up hondas is probably due to the fact that they lowered their car and never had adjustable cam bushings, adjustable ball joints or adjustable suspension arms installed to correct their camber issues on their cars. i see it all the time they usually don't get it fixed until the 3+ degrees of negative camber eats the inside edge of their tires in a short period of time and then they have to buy new tires and try to get an alignment done. the drastic wheel changes will only make what you already have as far as camber look worse. but it will shorten the life of wheel bearings and ball joints. it also doesn't help the longevity of your tires either do to scrub radius changes.