Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size? ... he he he - Also PDX wrench day?

just thought I'd share some project progression to insipre all of the rest of you. Which tire size do you think I should use....

Also, I was thinking of having a Old Subaru wrenching day at my place here in Portland, OR. I've got at least three bays available, heat, and Mac's Amber on tap. The deal would be we'd help each other wrench on our cars to make more progress, as well as share knowledge. Reply or send me a PM if there's interest and I'll find a good time here in the next three weekends.

subie1.jpg

<br>

subie3.jpg

<br>

subie2.jpg

<br>

subie4.jpg

Just a side note - the big tire on the front is a 235/75/15 - about a 28x8. I'm aiming for a 31x7.5 in there, and all measurements say it'll fit with a little loss of turning. Now I just need to find some....

just thought I'd share some project progression to insipre all of the rest of you. Which tire size do you think I should use....

...Just a side note - the big tire on the front is a 235/75/15 - about a 28x8. I'm aiming for a 31x7.5 in there, and all measurements say it'll fit with a little loss of turning. Now I just need to find some....

I Like the Looks / Advantage of the ones Placed in Front, I like that size, but Maybe those are little Oversized, How is to Drive that Subie with those Tyres? , Have you Tried?

I've only got one front corner done with the six-lug conversion and pushing the suspension forward to clear the tire, so I have no idea about driveability thus far. I can forsee SPFI and then EJ22 in my future :rolleyes:

The tires are a little too wide, but they're not nearly tall enough. Clearance is made with tires, using a lift kit just makes room for the big tires. I'm trying to get away without eating axles

Also, I was thinking of having a Old Subaru wrenching day at my place here in Portland, OR. I've got at least three bays available, heat, and Mac's Amber on tap. The deal would be we'd help each other wrench on our cars to make more progress, as well as share knowledge. Reply or send me a PM if there's interest and I'll find a good time here in the next three weekends.

i would be all over that, as a learning experience if nothing else, if i could actually drive my car (legally :rolleyes:).

Equipment is hit-and-miss. I just picked up a 6-ton arbor press, got oxy-acetaline, decent compressor, lots of grinders/drills/vices etc, and 220V.

Don't have: metal fab equipement like Mig/Tig, shear/bender, drill press nor a worthy workspace/bench.

But I have beer. Oh, wait, you're 19... NO BEER FOR YOU!!!:-\

But I'm thinking the same - a regular work time/spot would be helpful for all, and I"m willing to offer a starting spot if there's enough interest. I've changed engines in the apartment parking lot in the rain, and that sucks.

I've got four brothers, a father, and an uncle.. all but two of the brothers share the gearhead gene, and of those two one is a professional mechanic (excused, i wouldnt want to work on cars in my off-time either) and the other is aware and handy, just not very interested as a hobby..

anyhow, we grew up fixing our cars in Dad's garage. Dad hasn't HAD a garage for about, oh, ten years now.. so we have basically adopted this "communal garage" concept. My uncle lives in an apt built into the corner of a warehouse shop he has had for years and years, and we rented a two bay warehouse right next to his.. He has a hydraulic press, a drill press, a welder.. we both have compressors, between us we have like 8 wheel dollys (roll the car around on casters with them under the wheels) a million jackstans, an engine hoist, a couple engine stands... etc etc etc..

The whole "community garage" thing can work great; but all users of the garage who do NOT make a direct financial contribution (rent or equipment) should INHERENTLY feel the need to bring along a couple cans of brake cleaner, carb cleaner, PB Blaster, etc etc whenever they come to do some work. Beer/drinks/snacks as well... There is a fine line to walk, but it makes life easier for everyone. The hosts (the money behind the game) want to have a garage anyhow, and this way they never have to pay for the beer and the supplies.

Thank god for family... and the USMB :grin:

... we grew up fixing our cars in Dad's garage. ...

Thank god for family... and the USMB :grin:

Yes, me Too... I Grew up Fixin´ my Dad´s Cars (With Him) and then Fixin´ my Subies... I know the Feelin´ and maybe that is one of the Reasons I Love Mechanic Jobs.

Also I thank God for that, for Family, and for this USMB Family too... ! :)