Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys,

I'm new here. As you can see below, I'm a Subaru fan since the early 1980's actually... I own a 1991 Legacy Sedan 2.2L, stick shift, AWD. The thing that I dislike about the car (problem with most Subarus before the arrival of the H-6 3.0L engine, I guess...) is the lack of power, especially during uphill driving with passengers and a loaded trunk. The cars drives fine when I'm the only one riding in it, and sometimes it is actually unbeatable when driving up hill in the city. What could I do to increase power & performance, other than Turbo/Super charging it?. Subarus BTW, are horribly expensive down here, with prices similar to Audi's Bimmers and Mercedes... I wanted to get an Outback or a Forester, but price is definitely an issue here. In fact, a 2007 Legacy Outback with the 3.0L engine costs about US$ 75.000! Thank you.... :lol:

1981 GL Wagon 4WD, M/T (The car I learned to drive in. Sold it in 1998)

1992 Legacy GL 2.0L Wagon AWD, M/T (My daddy's car, replaced the above)

1991 Legacy GX 2.2L Sedan AWD, M/T (My own rig)

Welcome!

First off, I'd make sure that all the tune-up items are in good shape. Spark splugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve. The EJ22 is no hot rod, but makes decent power in stock form if everything is working right. You could free up the intake and exhaust a bit by replacing the stock muffler and removing the intake plumbing inside the fender.

What he said, and try some high octane fuel(91 octane or higher) as it does clean out the engine in a way, and does increase the engine performance, even though the compression ratio isn't neccesarily for high octance fuel, but higher octane fuel does give me better fuel economy and performance. Also dump some seafoam through the PCV valve(AKA crankcase) and then dump some in ur oil, and then do a oil change after driving for 10minutes. Should help in difference ways.

My 93 legacy i find is VERY fast if u ask me, its my little reliable rocket, that can go through 4ft of snow :)

P.S: Its a automatic by the way :D

Hi guys,

Thank you for your input. I keep all tune-up items checked, except the PCV valve. excuse my ignorance, but where is it?, so that I can check it and replace it... On the other hand, my spark plug wires are pretty old, I think they are OEM. How can I tell when to replace them?, since ignition seems to be working fine, etc. I will try premium gasoline to see if it improves (a bit expensive, though, in my neck of the woods..):)