Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ive searched but cant find what im looking for.

subaruloverbrad

rear hubs, rotors, and backing plates from an XT6 (rear calipers too if you're not already rear disc....)

you'll need to enlarge the front balljoint hole in the control arms, or find a way to put XT6 control arms on an EA81.

Front brakes, hubs, steering knuckles, struts springs axles from an XT6 or EJ car (all from the same).

a way to mate the axles to your trans (EA81 trannies have 23 spline stubs, virtually all 5-lug options have 25). if XT6, then you might be able to put your 23-spline DOJ cups on the end of the axles...

if EJ, get front axles for a '93-7/'94 FWD MT impreza. they have 23 splines.

and, you'll need to do something about strut tops. both XT6 and EJs have 3 bolts on the strut tops, and your EA81 has only 2. you may be able to use the EA81 strut tops on the other struts...but I just don't know. you may end up having to re-enforce the strut towers and drilling 3 holes in them.

There is a problem with the axles being too long as well, If its possible to put xt6 outer cv and axle stub onto ea81 that would probably be the best way to go, or custom up some axles like rguyver did on his brat, try searching through his posts. he also used a slightly moddified ea81 strut mated to the xt6 hub.

I just put on the XT6 parts onto my BRAT.

You will not be able to use the EJ/XT6 tophats on the old EA81 strut. I will not seat right, besides that tops of the EJ/XT6 struts need to rotate and the EA81 ones don't do that. If you are using using EJ struts w/XT6 front hubs you will need to grind down the mounting tab on the hub to get the strut to mount.

Impreza FWD axles will work. It is a bit of a bear getting the axles in b/c they are a bit longer. I had to disconnect the strut from the hub to get it to fit.

The rears are going to be the biggest issue in terms of the swap b/c EJ stuff will not work. The only way of doing it is with xt6 rear brakes

BW

000_0046.JPG

I was speaking of this, not putting xt6 tophats on ea81 struts, that makes no sense at all...

But you can out ea81 top hats on xt6 struts without much problem. And that is a custom axle rguyver made by shortening the stock xt6 unit, something like this would have to be done for a stock hieght vehicle

On the control arm... to fit the large ball joint, can you just drill out the hole, or does that hole have to be tapered? I noticed the hole is normally tapered... what's the reason for that? How do you enlarge the hole so that its tapered?

ive searched but cant find what im looking for.

Well, if people picked appropriate subject lines, such as "EA81 5 Lug Swap" then you wouldn't have this problem ;)