Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of buy Legacy

I have a '91 Sport Sedan.

"I know these motors have headgasket issues but when does that show up? anyone know?"

At 350,000 I am still on the original head gaskets.

"are there other things to look out for."

As these cars age they become high maintence cars, you have 3 choices (or the owner before you had 3 choices)

1) spend thousands at the dealer

2) keep it maintained yourself in a reasonable fashon

3) do nothing, fixing only what breaks, when it breaks

When buying one used you must take into consideration how the car was maintained, meaning: you will pay premium money for a properly maintained car with dealer receipts, a little less if maintained by the owner in a "proper fashon", in the third case it is very likely that you will have to cough up big money to get it back to "right", you will pay little money.

At 205K it should be timing belt time (or should have been) this will likely include guides, water pump and maybe tensioner. U-joints should be showing wear (needing replaced) maybe wheel bearings, maybe brakes. Inspect the rad. Exhaust system, paying special attention to the expensive muffler. Rear strut mounts (for some reason they seem to wear out, you will hear a rear suspension squeak). If an auto, make sure on start-up the "power" light does not flash, otherwise you will be into the transmission.

"what is their clearance and offroad capabilities"

Without modifying the chassis (lifting, fitting bigger tires/wheels) none. These are not really off-road cars without modifications. I have a lot of body flex on roads, never mind off-road, I would consider a full cage a requirment for real off-road.

all engines have HG problems (well, most of them, at some point do)

but the 2.2 in the legacy you're looking at wasnt the notorious HG blower, that was the 2.5... they werent made back in '90.

go for it! wonderful car. (as long as it isnt completely trashed and not ridiculously expensive, i wouldnt pay more than $1,000)

but this isnt Old Gen... eh why am i saying anything, they'll move it anyways :lol: