Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo help

While I was up wheelin' yesterday oil started to shoot out all over my down pipe, and I was blowing blue smoke out the exaust REAL bad. We checked the feed & retern lines to the turbo but couldn't find any problems with them. It looked like it was coming from the center section of the turbo it's self on the under side some where. I tryed to crimp the feed line to the turbo but I don't think it worked caus it's still spining fine, with no noise and making good boost. After I got it back into town and drove it around for a while it stoped smoking, and it's not shooting oil any where:eh: It's still making boost, and the turbo is not making any bad sounds. I dont get it! What hapend??? Should I replace/fix the feed line and see what hapens or what. I don't want to drive it any more with the line criped off if the turbo is not shot.

You need a new turbo. My RX is doing a similar thing. It still makes good boost, but is a little noisy when it spools up. Once the boost comes on I lay down a "spy hunter" style smoke screen. If I stay off the gas and the boost never comes on, no smoke. I believe that the oil seals are shot.

Good luck

Right now I can get on the boost all the way up to 11psi and no smoke, no sounds , nothing. But whaen I was coming off the hill yester day, all the way to my house it was smoking like a b@$terd:eek: Then When I fierd it up 15-20min. later and drove it around town it was fine. And it's not shooting oil every where any more:eh:

its a silicone hose, so replace it with silicone.

its a good idea to replace the water hose off the turbo, as they can blow out.

i put jim's turbo motor together, got the whole car with blown headgaskets, never seenit run.

diring the build i suggested replacing the hose, but we didnt have the right size.

and then it blew out on the maiden voyage.

replace those hoses in one shot as preventative maintenance!

Well...I gess that I wil un-crimp the oil feed line and see what hapens. If it just starts to shoot oil agen I can allwayse cut and fold the line to stop ALL oil flow to the turbo and wait for it to sease up. Will it still run with the turbo seized? I know it would be down on power big time, but will it run?

Well, I un-criped the line as best I could. So far no oil leak:cornfuzz: and the turbo is doing great:cornfuzz: :cornfuzz: I can't for the life of me figure out what happend:drunk: I'm not crazy, I have 4 witneses who saw how much oil was coming out.