Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4/3 lift center bearing question

del

I am making a 4/3 lift for my wagon. Plan on dropping the rear dif 2". My question is how far do I drop the center bearing on the drive shaft? Does it drop the same amount as the dif, or the tranny, or somewhere in between? :confused:

thanks

del

1988 gl wagon

5sp d/r non turbo 4x4 ea82

Plan on droping just the back of the diff 2" or the whole swing arm crossmember only 2" as well? I would say drop it the same as the rear swing arm crossmember is.

On a mates 2" lifted 88wagon we dropped everything 2", totaly stock geometry, and one of the u-joints went bad. So I wouldn't want to put anymore then stock angle on them. Unless maybe you have grease able ones and enough cash to replace when ever.

I was planning to move the top shock mounts down 3", and dropping the the diff 2". The plan for the rear crossmember is to leave it alone.

del

Ok. hmm.. Somehow I get the feeling with the back of the diff 2" lower then the front (seems the front is bolted to the crossmember) you will get some interesting propshaft angles. Unless you plan to space the front of the diff mounts down 2" as well. What I would do is install the lift, then look at the angles on the propshaft, if they look too much different then stock, space the carrier bearing.

I'm guessing you don't mind your rear wheels really far forward?

If it were mine, I'd lift the crossmember 2" too, but that's just me. Good luck with it mate. And of cause, we must have some pics once it's lifted :)

i've dropped the diff 2" ,front mount spaced,the shocks 3.5" the rear crossmember 2" the centre bearing 1.5".The propshaft doesn't like its angles changed if its done a few miles.The setup i'm making for the centre bearing now is to get the propshaft to run in a str8 line.Pretty much like Phiz is describing.

Yes i plan on dropping the diff strait down. spacers in front and a plate in back kinda like scotts (sjr). the drive line I would like as true as posible, without snagging every bit of sage brush i come across.

Somebody mentioned pictures, I have a digital camera, will somebody point me towards the help with pictures (for dummies) thread, and I would be happy to take pictures of the lift.

cheers (I am not Australian, so hope this mean thank you)

del

Best bet I reckon is to hold the drive line up in place after lifting all your parts and putting it at the angle you want.

If you want I can get a picture of what my Brat's 2 piece shaft angle is like, and what a stock height EA82's shaft angle is like.