Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I assume this works in new-gen?

Out of nowhere, a house half a mile down the road from me has a claret '92 SVX with 165,000 miles up for sale, and I am quite tempted to get it.

Unfortunately, the car looks like it was beat on a little bit. There are a few dents and cracks, and plenty of paint chips, but overall the exterior looked pretty nice. No rust or anything

The interior looked like it could be restored with a little cleaning, though the stock radio is in need of replacing.

I took it for a spin, and the engine seemed to pull strong, and the tranny shifted like it is supposed to. I also went to a parking lot and tried turning several tight circles to check for torque bind, which there was none noticeable. Either the wheels havent been like they are very long, or he has the FWD fuse in, which I would assume is more likely. Im about to kick myself for forgetting to check it.

On the bad stuff:

Not only were the tires mismatched, but so were the wheels! left rear looked like it was from a eagle talon, and all the rims were beat up. Says he has the other rim missing from the set in the trunk, and that he has the stock wheels for it though, which I would definitely want instead.

On the test drive, I noticed that the ABS light is on. What does that mean?

also has a minor exhaust leak, and the engine seems to have a tic to it, maybe a lifter?

The best part about it is probably the price. He was asking 1500$ for it and another parts car, which he said was complete except that the engine had blown head gaskets and front end damage. I didn't get to see the parts car.

Also a fishy story about it. He said he sold it to a friend, who drove it for about a year and then sold it back to him. not sure what else is going on there.

also forgot to add that there was an unidentified noise coming from the front of the car, possibly a wheel bearing.

Well, any ideas? Is this a good deal or a mechanical nightmare?

I also posted this on subaru-svx.net, but they basically just said to buy a different car instead of saying what might be wrong with this one.

Run away from it if you have to ask what the ABS light being on means.

The SVX with mismatched tires, is very bad, An SVX already has transmission issues. Now throw in mismatched tires, and your really adding up the bill. You can swap in a Legacy transmission and rear diff.

SVX is a wonderful car, but there are nicer models around that you can get for decent money.

Wheel bearings are a bit fragile (rear).

Wait for something better. the SVX engine should not have a tick, unless its been beat upon. the engines age gracefully.

nipper

Run away from it if you have to ask what the ABS light being on means.

The SVX with mismatched tires, is very bad, An SVX already has transmission issues. Now throw in mismatched tires, and your really adding up the bill. You can swap in a Legacy transmission and rear diff.

SVX is a wonderful car, but there are nicer models around that you can get for decent money.

Wheel bearings are a bit fragile (rear).

Wait for something better. the SVX engine should not have a tick, unless its been beat upon. the engines age gracefully.

nipper

Nipper's got it all right. That SVX has been beat I think and for that kind of money, you can do better.

As much as it pains me to have to drive past this car several times a day, I think I will take the advice and pass on this one. Though the engine pulls nicely, I don't think I am to the task of restoring it to the way it should be. If anyone is in the area, and could use a parts car, I would suggest taking a look at it or the other one he said. I personally think he would let it go for considerably under his asking price.

As much as it pains me to have to drive past this car several times a day, I think I will take the advice and pass on this one. Though the engine pulls nicely, I don't think I am to the task of restoring it to the way it should be. If anyone is in the area, and could use a parts car, I would suggest taking a look at it or the other one he said. I personally think he would let it go for considerably under his asking price.
Where's the car at? I could pass along the post to the SVX Network where someone might bite.

Well, the temptation is still just too much, and If no one has shown any interest in the next few weeks, I will tell him everything that will need to be fixed in the car to make it road worthy, and give him a barebones offer because he needs to get it off his property as it isnt licensed, no more than a few hundred dollars. That way, I can at least have something to play around with, and see what I can do with it.