Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 Timing belt not staying aligned

I put the timing belt on my 96 2.5 motor with everything lined up rite then turn the motor with a socket one full turn and the timing marks are way off.I have done this 3 times and everytime its the same thing, even a friend tried and samething happened when he did it.I have replaced the timing belt before on this motor and it worked.The belt i have is a goodyear belt.Does anyone have any ides why the timing marks dont stay aligned?

I think it would not align again for many revolutions. The marks are only designed for installation.

We will see what others think I hope, but if it was mine I'd spin it through and if nothing hit I'd try to start it if you aligned it correctly in the first place.

its a 2:1 ratio, between the crank and cams.
True.

One turn of the crank is two turns of the cam.
The other way around; two turns of the crankshaft corresponds to one of a camshaft, but you knew that, Nipper. (Four strokes require two up/down piston cycles, hence two turns of the crank, but one turn of a camshaft completes the opening and closing of both the intake and exhaust valves.)

Like cookie said, just use the timing marks for belt installation.
Yep. The belt has a lot more teeth on it than the crank and cam sprockets do, but when the engine is turned enough the belt marks will align again with their indexes (that assumes, of course, that the belt is properly tensioned and not jumping).