Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR question.

Hello.

I have been lurking here for awhile since recently buying an `87 GL 4wd wagon. I've worked on my own cars for years and know my way around them very well, though this is my first Subaru. I've been burning up the search button for the last week and haven't come up with much on the EGR valve so I thought I'd ask:

The EGR valve moves when I apply vacuum directly to it, but it has a slow vacuum leak. Can anyone tell me if this is typical on Subarus? I can manually move the valve diaphragm by hand but the engine won't stumble when I do this while it's idling, so I think I have a clogged passage somewhere. Is this do-able with a coat hangar and a can of carb cleaner(preferably without breaking bolts? :grin:)? I'm hoping to clear up some light mid-throttle pinging.

Thanks a bunch.

I just went through an EGR cleaning on my 89 hatch. Cleaning, opening, the passages did help fix the pinging on acceleration. But the main problem for pinging was the PCV and hose leading to it were clogged up.

I've read that a piece of cable, like speedo cable, in a drill works wonders for cleaning egr passages. But I haven't tried that yet.

I just went through an EGR cleaning on my 89 hatch. Cleaning, opening, the passages did help fix the pinging on acceleration. But the main problem for pinging was the PCV and hose leading to it were clogged up.

I've read that a piece of cable, like speedo cable, in a drill works wonders for cleaning egr passages. But I haven't tried that yet.

HMMMMM... if speedo cable works, then a thick guitar string, or a bass string, would work even better... the windings around the outside of the string work almost like a rasp.

Lets just say I have experience using guitar strings to clear out narrow, sticky gummy air passageways. :brow:

can someone describe where the EGr located in the ea82?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/EA-81EA-82Manifold2.jpg

In that link you'll find the EA-82 manifold infront of the EA-81.

EGR is the piece on the back of the EA-82, to the left of the carb port.

On the EA-81 it's directly behing the carb port.

hmmmmm.. seeing that picture made me curious....

This is my first soob (not counting the BRAT me and my buddy sorta had for a couple months in HS that I have NO serious recollection of) so I am in the dark.. are the SPFI intake manifolds that different from the carb manifolds? are they different at all??

Threadjack, off.

Well I worked on the EGR valve Sunday afternoon. As it turns out, someone before me blocked off the exhaust tube inlet at the EGR valve with a piece of copper shim stock between the flange and gasket. I also lucked out with the EGR valve; it's not bleeding vacuum, the vacuum hose was. I haven't been able to take it on a decent test drive yet, the engine is shuddering now under part throttle. I replaced the EGR blockoff but still have the shudder, so I must have disturbed a vacuum line somewhere. I'll have a better look at it tomorrow in the daylight, once I find my vacuum leak and cure the shudder I'll get the EGR working again.:)

Thanks for the responses.

What octane fuel do you run? I just replaced my HGs, engine is looking b-e-a-utiful inside, and I still have to run 93 octane....

I run the cheap stuff...87 octane I think?

Didn't expect a low-performance non-turbo motor to require more than that.

I may look into the PCV valve later once I feel brave enough to deal with that rat's nest of vacuum hoses under the air cleaner.:eek:

Thanks.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/EA-81EA-82Manifold2.jpg

In that link you'll find the EA-82 manifold infront of the EA-81.

EGR is the piece on the back of the EA-82, to the left of the carb port.

On the EA-81 it's directly behing the carb port.

well, I don't have EGR. mine is an ea82 1994. maybe they don't require it in OZ. so do you know what is that black plastic box right next to the distreibuter and that thing it's conected to right under it?