Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Clutch Is Stuck To The Floor

Hi I Have A 97 Subaru Outback. 195000 Miles. I Put A New Clutch In Last Year. When I Put The Engine Back In The Clutch Stuck To Floor. THE LITTLE NIPPLE THINGY WOULD PUSH BACK OUT I Took The Top Cylinder Off And Put It Back On And For Some Reason It Worked. Today It STuck To The Floor Again. Only Now There Is Some Fluid On It And The Tube Going Down. Any Ideas? I Don't Have A Clue. I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK.

Jake

thats the top cylinder? the slave cylinder is near the bottom? should i get a used one or are they cheap enough to just go buy a new one?. and do you just replace it and blead the system or is it more complicated?

thanks again

i would be in a world of trouble without this site.

jake

Yep,

That's the top one. Cheap is a relative term. You can easily price one on the internet or by a call to the local dealer. Seems I paid under a hundred bucks a few years back but check you price under master cylinder, clutch. You might be able to bleed it and get by for a while if money is tight, or they can be rebuilt with new seals, but I'm not sure if Americans would carry the seal kit.

If you do this system in a really professional manner you replace both clutch and master cyl, the line if any cracking, and then bleed the system. It works just like a brake system or any other hydraulic system. You need fluid to push, have the air out, and a good seal on the both ends.