Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82, looking for 'how-to'

Anyone got a brief how-to rebuild one? I've done many engines, just no boxer engines. Wanting to see what is done differently.

I dont need to do one now, but I probably will have to rebuild this one (1986) within the next 50 yrs. ;)

Righto, but it is going to be self explanatory or are there a lot of tricks and such I should know of before I start?

The trickiest part is splitting the block, You need to pull the wrist pins out of the pistons first. There are 4 aluminum plugs in the side of the shortblock that you need to remove to gain access to the wrist pins. After you remove the plugs, then turn the crank to align the wrist pins with the hole and remove the wrist pin keeper spring. Then the hard part, you need a tool to insert through the center of the wrist pin to pull it out. There a specialty tools out there made for this but what I did is make my own by grinding down the head of a long bolt so it will fit though the hole and have a ledge on one side of the bolt that will catch on to the wrist pin. Then attach it to a slide hammer and pull the pins out, sometime they don't come out easy. Then it is just a matter of finding all the bolts that hold the case halves together, double check because some are hard to find. Good luck, you will have fun.......Roger