Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control conversion on 97 OBS

I have been trying to find a curise control kit for my 97 OBS with a manual transmission but found out the conversion kit is not in exsistence anymore.

I have checked local and some nonlocal junk yards for crusie control for a manual transmission, but have not had any luck either.

I found a Cruise Control kit at SubaruParts.com for a 95-98 Legacy. It says it is either for an automatic or manual. I bought it because it was the last one available.

Does anyone know what will work and what will not work from the 95 -98Legacy cruise control kit, using it for the 97 Impreza Outback Sport?

Thanks in advance, Ken

Folger Subaru in NC (a vendor at NASIOC) used to have this particular kit. A Legacy kit might be harder to adapt than one for a different year, or automatic, Impreza, because that system uses an electric pump to provide vacuum, so the wiring is very different.

I have a used one in my garage from my 97 Impreza L. Removed when I did an engine swap. The off/on dash switch and stalk are still in my car which is away for a few more weeks at the shop. I bought it from Folger. If they don't have one, you could buy mine.

It is missing only the nipple to the intake manifold for vacuum. I have the complete instructions too. I might be able to source that nipple for free too, otherwise its likely a $5 part.

$35 USD plus shipping.

Aspen,

Thanks for the reply. I called Folger and they said the kit is not longer available which is the same answere I got from at least four other Subaru shops. I just got my kit in for a Legacy. I will at least need the pump and likely the computer if it is from a manual transmission (hopefully). I am going to try the switches and servo. Or if it would be easier for you I could buy the whole kit.

Please send me a private message and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Ken

I have a used one in my garage from my 97 Impreza L. Removed when I did an engine swap. The off/on dash switch and stalk are still in my car which is away for a few more weeks at the shop. I bought it from Folger. If they don't have one, you could buy mine.

It is missing only the nipple to the intake manifold for vacuum. I have the complete instructions too. I might be able to source that nipple for free too, otherwise its likely a $5 part.

$35 USD plus shipping.

Where is the electrical connector for the cruise control unit (computer) for a 97 Impreza Outback Sport? I read that it was under the dash on the drivers side but I could not find where it was and how many pins are in the connector?

The computer I got for a Legacy had 20 pins.

I also found out that the switches for the clutch and brake are different along with the pump connector.

Thanks, Ken

Where is the electrical connector for the cruise control unit (computer) for a 97 Impreza Outback Sport? I read that it was under the dash on the drivers side but I could not find where it was and how many pins are in the connector?

The computer I got for a Legacy had 20 pins.

I also found out that the switches for the clutch and brake are different along with the pump connector.

Thanks, Ken

It is way up under the dash and wrapped in a bunch of electrical tape and pretty much impossible to see. That bugger took me about 40 minutes to find and unravel. Much swearing was involved.

• 4 years later...

Right hand side of the Steering column. White Plug.

I just put in a criuse system from a 98 OBS and it works great.

Computer

Brake and lower clutch switches

vacumm unit under the hood

Hose and fitting from the manifold

Steering wheel control switch

Cruise Switch.

All the wiring is there, plug and Play