Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so i got my car towed tonight

My car has been acting funny and running poorly for a little while now. Today it completely crapped out on me. I went to pick up my gf and when she got in and i put it in reverse it died. Putting it in reverse had nothing to do with it though. The dash board lights up but nothing works on it. The power windows dont work and the car cranks over but wont start. I looked under the hood and noticed that my failing raditor was leaking on wires that run inside the cabin. Could this be the culprit right here?

Check all the fuses, the fusible links also.

Un-bolt the fusible link box from inner fender and look at the wiring underneath it.

Lost most of the power in my old '86 BRAT, found corroded connections under the link box. One of which had corroded to the point of breakage.

As to the radiator leak,

It "shouldn't" bother the wiring harness wires themselves, but it won't do any of the connectors any good, as it will lead to corrosion on them.

My car has been acting funny and running poorly for a little while now. quote]

Fuel pump or Carb probably.... just a guess...

Well i kno my carb probably needs replacing too but that wouldnt cause all my gauges along with my power windows and other things to not work.

Un-bolt the fusible link box from inner fender and look at the wiring underneath it.

Lost most of the power in my old '86 BRAT, found corroded connections under the link box. One of which had corroded to the point of breakage.

As to the radiator leak,

It "shouldn't" bother the wiring harness wires themselves, but it won't do any of the connectors any good, as it will lead to corrosion on them.

I looked and couldnt find the fusable links. Is it the grey box right behind the battery that holds them?

yea i have AAA plus so i have free towing for 100 miles. Its nice :) Its not so nice to have my baby towed..along with the window baged since i couldnt put it up anymore. At least i had it towed by someone who loves my car. He towed it two years ago when i didnt know quite as much about cars. He pulled his tow truck up last night and was like "how many miles you got on that thing now? You just dont forget a car that nice" At least i know its in good hands and is being put in a locked yard for first thing monday morning. Thanks for the help Connie. But last night and this morning i was thinking a blown fuse or fuseable link. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they were all good so it someithing in the engine compartment..i was too tired out from pushing my car down the street with my gf behind the wheel steering it into a parking spot so i wouldnt get a ticket..to check a bunch of stuff.

I looked and couldnt find the fusable links. Is it the grey box right behind the battery that holds them?

That be the item you're looking for.. Small wire from battery + goes to it, just to help you find it. Cover has some lock-tabs that hold it on. May come off easy, may have to argue with it some, I know I've had to on a couple vehicles....

And just because they look good, don't mean they are good. They can/will burn and not damage the insulation covering them, may dis-color it some but not always. Best to use a meter to check them.

Its fixed. Turned out to be a fusable link that was making poor contact. Tightened it up and its all better now. Thanks for all the help :)

:banana: :banana: :banana: I have been following this and am sooooo glad to hear it was something on the dumb/easy to fix side.