Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY car a 2000 Legacy GT had the headgaskets done under warranty(previous owner). My question is it common practice for the dealers to do the timing belts when they do these warrantys? My car has 94k and I just trying to figure out if the did the timing belts already

Check your bill. I only replace whats neccesary unless you're close to your belt replacement interval, usually some idlers and maybe a tensioner. Policy is different depending on shop I imagine.

The headgaskets were done before I bought car and I don't have any paperwork. Was just wondering if it's common practice to do them while they're there.

The headgaskets were done before I bought car and I don't have any paperwork. Was just wondering if it's common practice to do them while they're there.

Could you go to the suby dealership where the work is done, have them run the VIN and pull up the old work order?

I doubt that many dealerships would do a T-belt on a "special extended warranty" headgasket job unless the customer paid for it out of pocket. But I might be wrong.

Nathan

If you can get on my.subaru.com and register your vehicle you can see any previous service history they have records for, which would be mostly the dealer or owners can enter their own info too. It may or may not indicate whether the timing belt was done at the time.

Obviously the whether or not the timing belt was replaced would depend on whether the customer was told the belt should be replaced and whether or not the customer was willing to pay for at least the new belt?

Anyway, if you're at the timing belt replacement interval and there is any question as to whether or not the timing belt was replaced previously, you really must replace it or risk the consequences.

If you can get on my.subaru.com and register your vehicle you can see any previous service history they have records for, which would be mostly the dealer or owners can enter their own info too. It may or may not indicate whether the timing belt was done at the time.

Obviously the whether or not the timing belt was replaced would depend on whether the customer was told the belt should be replaced and whether or not the customer was willing to pay for at least the new belt?

Anyway, if you're at the timing belt replacement interval and there is any question as to whether or not the timing belt was replaced previously, you really must replace it or risk the consequences.

Thanks I'll check that out.

MY car a 2000 Legacy GT had the headgaskets done under warranty(previous owner). My question is it common practice for the dealers to do the timing belts when they do these warrantys? My car has 94k and I just trying to figure out if the did the timing belts already

Check the records. Personally I would have suggested doing the timing belts. The car was close enough to 106K that it would have been worth while. All it would cost at that point is the cost of the part, as the labor is free.

They make money selling parts, and it should have been suggested.

nipper