Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Over the weekend I discovered a tear in the CV boot on my 97 Impreza wagon (auto, 100k miles). I know that the boot will need to be replaced, and maybe the CV as well. I figure I might as well get the struts done at the same time since they're starting to go.

How much should it cost to get a new CV boot? A whole new CV? Struts?

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the rear springs to eliminate sag in the back. (See this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73603 ) Will 06 WRX springs fit?

Thanks.

if it's not torn all the way around then it probably hasn't been like that for long. if there's no clicking with the steering wheel turned at full lock then the joints might be okay. a boot could save it.

unless you have a good honest mechanic willing to save you a buck, it'll cost about the same to just install a new axle versus replacing the boot alone. so it's easier typically to replace the entire axle and costs about the same. axle replacement is probably the best bet for you.

axle replacement usually runs $150 - $250 depending on your mechanic/local rates. i would price out a Subaru axle or buy from MWE in colorado, they are superior than off the shelf rebuilt axles at the auto parts stores.

figure roughly $350 labor plus parts costs. price parts yourself online at autozone, advanced, Subaru online parts. $450 - $600 is my off the top of my head guess, but it varies depending on your mechanic and what parts you use.

i'm not sure what range of springs will work. you could look up WRX struts on http://www.thepartsbin.com or autozone and see if the part numbers for the 04 and 06 are the same in the rear. if so you're golden. if not, you'll have to look into it further. i know the lug spacing on the hubs changed around 2005, so there's a chance other suspension changes were made as well.

if it's not torn all the way around then it probably hasn't been like that for long. if there's no clicking with the steering wheel turned at full lock then the joints might be okay. a boot could save it.

The boot is torn all the way around. I haven't noticed a clicking sound, but I wasn't listening for it either.

Is there any benefit to replacing both the left and right? Do they tend to go at the same time?

i would replace the entire axle with an MWE unit or Subaru axle.

i wouldn't replace both without reason. they do not tend to go at the same time. typically the one closest to the exhaust will break long before the other side for the inner boots (closest to the exhaust). this applies to the fronts and rears. the front outers break often due to the large range of motion for steering.

the only benefit is if the mechanic is going to give you a substantial break for doing both at the same time. but that is rarely the case from what i've seen. they'll try to make it look like a "savings" but it rarely is. again, this can only be determined by your mechanic and how he's willing to work with you. other than lifting the car there's no savings in time for the mechanic to replace both axles at the same time.

if you really are concerned about it, look at the boots on the "good" side and see if there's any cracking beginning. if you can see significant cracking in the boot...but it's not cracked all the way through yet, then consider replacing both.