Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 Brat in Chico CA making funny noise. Help.

I drove my Brat to the chiropractor today and everything was fine. I started it up to go home and it was making a funny noise. I thought it was an exhaust rattle or something but I don't think so. Anybody around who can look at it for cheap? I'm a girl and I'm afraid to drive it anywhere to see what's wrong. Help!

Mine too....it has developed a vibration that sounds like it might be coming from somewhere in the rear......so I had the same thought.....get someone to look at it for cheap. I'm going to take it to the firestone dealer where I bought the tires, and ask him if he can check out the tires to see if there's something wrong with them. If it's not the tires maybe he will offer a suggestion. I've jacked it up myself and checked a couple of times now, but found nothing so far.

I drove my Brat to the chiropractor today and everything was fine. I started it up to go home and it was making a funny noise. I thought it was an exhaust rattle or something but I don't think so. Anybody around who can look at it for cheap? I'm a girl and I'm afraid to drive it anywhere to see what's wrong. Help!

Where is it coming from?

when you say funny, do you mean whine, click, rattle, clunk, grind?

This might help in getting the problem isolated.

Where is it coming from?

when you say funny' date=' do you mean whine, click, rattle, clunk, grind?

This might help in getting the problem isolated.[/quote']

First I thought it sounded like the exhaust manifold was rattling. Now I don't think so. Its hard to describe. I should open the hood and see if I can see anything obviously wrong like a belt or something.

First I thought it sounded like the exhaust manifold was rattling. Now I don't think so. Its hard to describe. I should open the hood and see if I can see anything obviously wrong like a belt or something.

Okay. I actually opened the hood and it sounds like its coming from the front of the engine. I'm thinking alternater, water pump, something like that.

Timing belts may be loose and slapping the covers?

Assuming she hasnt done a motor swap, the BRAT wont have timing belts.

The belt that connects the alt and water pump is the main one, are you getting goofy voltage readings?

Assuming she hasnt done a motor swap, the BRAT wont have timing belts.

The belt that connects the alt and water pump is the main one, are you getting goofy voltage readings?

I have the original motor with only 82K. The Brat has been sitting for a few months and I wondered if that could have something to do with it. I have a friend who is going to come look at it. thanks guys