Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compression's good. Low fuel pressure or bad injectors, maybe?

I've had my Loyale for about a year now, and it's never run quite right - it feels like it's down on power compared to my old '87 GL, fuel economy has never been the same (23-24mpg vs the 30+ I could get with the GL, even with AC off), and it has an annoying dead spot in the middle of the throttle response when it's cold.

I figured this was because the inside of the engine was filthy - when I pulled it apart to reseal it, it was an "Eeeewwww...." moment. I figured I'd let it run till the summer, then swap it.

Well, I compression tested it today, and got 165/165/170/180 - engine's in good shape (though still pissing oil out the rear main, need to fix that).

So, since the issues aren't compression, what else would be causing problems?

The spark plugs had white deposits on them, and the fuel pump has been making more noise than usual. I'm thinking it might be going bad, which would cause it to run lean. I've got a spare I'm going to swap in.

I'm also planning to send my spare injector in, get it cleaned, and get some new plug wires (I have cheap O'Rileys brand wires) - any suggestions on brands that work well?

Finally, has anyone actually tried running a MSD6A in their old gen? It seems like it would help a good bit, but I haven't heard from anyone who has tried it.

Thanks!

-=Russ=-

best advice is to slowly and patiently test each little FI component (MAF, TPS, etc) for proper functioning.. run a D check to make sure you arent having any codes.. check the coil for proper resistance..

in short, read through the chapter on the FI system in the FSM and test all of that.. then make sure your ignition system is running right... then PCV/emissions stuff... maybe change on o2 sensor...

but without a place to start, this is a cumbersome process. good luck, and have fun.

I have the nearly the same symptoms but I nearly changed everything related to fuel and spark so far... I still have the idea that it is somehow related to the ECU which really isn't for this engine, but the original one doesn't work anymore. BTW: Has anyone detailed electronic documentation about this ECUs?

Ah, to get the point: If you find the cause of your problem, please let me know! I will have a look then too....

• 2 months later...

Updates:

See my other (soon to be posted) thread, but it turns out it wasn't fuel at all - it was intake restriction. The Subaru badge was missing from the intake snorkel, and it causes it to collapse under vacuum and choke off the engine.

If you're missing the badge, you're missing out on probably 15-20hp at the top end.

-=Russ=-

A badge? I'm a bot confused about the meaning. Something like a decal or label? How is it related to the intake? :confused:

It's the heavy plastic "Subaru" badge that sits on top of the intake snorkel. It's apparently structural.

-=Russ=-