Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My EJ22 swapped rig I think Might need the oil pump resealed..

On my aftermarket oil pressure gauge(autometer) when the engine is cold and I have it at idles oil pressure is 25 psi.Rev it up=90+psi.But when its warm rev up is 50-75 psi.The real kicker is warm idle PSI.A whopping ZERO PSI.So I guess I need to reseal the oil pump.How hard is it to do?Does it take just like an hour or so?(more like three because I have to fuss with the radiator to get it to fit,then the hoses are pain to get on due to very little space near the power steering pump/lines...

If you want to reseal the oil pump, you'll have to remove the timing belt. Then you can slide of the crank sprocket and unbolt the oil pump. You'll need a new front crank seal as the oil pump slips over the crank. And a new oil pump discharge to block o-ring. The screws sometimes tended to back out of the rear case over the rotors, thus allowing oil to seep out and sometimes leak out or even push out the front crank seal. There is an article on endwrench about it.

However, I would suspect the gauge or sender. If you are reading 90+psi then either the gauge is inaccurate or the oil pump internal pressure relief isn't working correctly since it opens at about 72psi.

There was a recent post on here about gauges where nipper and others gave some good info about gauge accuracy and how they don't necessarily give accurate readings at the low or high end of the range.