Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 automatic Forester 30k mile service ?s

Basically, I'm wondering what is really needed for a 30,000 mile service for my vehicle. I am not a mechanic and will be paying someone else my *hard-earned* money to do it. The manual states:

Inspect:

drive belt

camshaft drive belt

fuel system, lines and connections

transmission/diff. (front and rear) lubricants (gear oil)

auto. trans. fluid

disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

brake linings and drums

clutch operation

steering and suspension

Replace:

engine oil

engine oil filter

fuel filter

air cleaner element

spark plugs

brake fluid

Perform:

replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses, and connections

inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

rotate and inspect tires

Out of this list, what do I not need (if anything)? Anything not covered that I should have done?

I have talked to a mechanic who, after looking up my vehicle in whatever book or database he had, said that I should not need spark plugs (despite what the owner's manual says). He thought there should be platinum plugs in there that are good to 100k. I understand replacing them bumps up the price substantially.

I didn't find a thread that related directly when I searched and thought some knowledgable answers in one place on this topic would be much appreciated by more members than just me.

So, basically, what should I have done?

Subaru is really too heavy on thier 30K maint, i dont know why since everyone else is going towards 100K on some things. I think they are written to make the dealer money.

Any shop worth thier salt will do the inspected items any time any car gets on the lift.

Brake fluid - wait till the car need brakes. Most mfg are going with 100k or life of the car maint intervals for that item. Its a waste of money to have it done now. WHen the brakes are done, have them bleed the brakes.

Spark plugs, as long as the car is running fine, passes emissions, and no change in gas mileage they can go for quite some time (your mechanic is correct).

Fuel Filter yes.

Air cleaner if needed.

Drive belts only if your mechanic thinks it needs them.

Engine coolant flush and replace. This keeps the system clean and the water pump happy.

I am surprised that a tranny flush is not in there. Thats very important on the automatic transmissions. It keeps the AWD very happy, and thats a 3 year interval.

nipper

PS of course do the oil change too.

I just looked at www.cars101.com

Its dumb, it says inspect. You should check the fluids in the car more then once every 30,000 miles.

We have found here on USMB that every 30K makes for a very happy transmission. SUbarus will practically get your morning newspaper and slippers for you if you regularly change the tranny fluid.

I do mine every 30K (and Blu is at 205,000 miles).

nipper

Can you tell me more about why you don't like Seafoam? I ask because it seems like everybody and their cousin here thinks it's the coolest thing ever and I usually kind of go with the flow on those things. Do you think it has some good uses like as a fuel additive or something?