Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL SPFI No Spark? BURN THIS THING.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but... isn't the CAS built into the disty? or is it somewhere else?

it is built into the dizzy... if you take the rotor off, and undo the one or two screws on the dust cover underneath it, you will see the wheel of the CAS.

refresh the memory.. why would the fact that the CAS is an integral part of the distributor, lead you to believe that there is not a CAS problem? I take it you have swapped in a known good distributor?

it is built into the dizzy... if you take the rotor off, and undo the one or two screws on the dust cover underneath it, you will see the wheel of the CAS.

refresh the memory.. why would the fact that the CAS is an integral part of the distributor, lead you to believe that there is not a CAS problem? I take it you have swapped in a known good distributor?

3 of them.

Does it have automatic shoulder belts?

Good question!

It got me thinking, and I was wondering if you are 110% positive that it is an 88 model year? what is the date of manufacture? I am just taking a SWAG at it, but what if somehow you've got wires in wrong places because of conflicting information from different model years??

I dont know, its a total wild guess.. but its all I got at this point.

Good question!

It got me thinking, and I was wondering if you are 110% positive that it is an 88 model year? what is the date of manufacture? I am just taking a SWAG at it, but what if somehow you've got wires in wrong places because of conflicting information from different model years??

I dont know, its a total wild guess.. but its all I got at this point.

We determined base on the *H* vin # that this car is actually an 87. page 3 or 4 of this thread I think. Which suck cause I still don't have my 87 FSM back from the machinist yet

fuse 5 looks good. yes it's an 87 for sure. no power seatbelts. he had a brand new (reman) disty in there. Does it have to be bolted down for the disty to be grounded or something? I'm going insane.. this is my living now.. I need to fix this thing badly.

the Crank angle is what tells it to send spark along with the cam sensor (cant remember if these cars have cam sensors)!!! so thats a big dukie!!! but the EGR is an emissions device so if its off well then hello 1-5+ horsepower!!!

black / white - 5.10 volts dc

black - ground

green / yellow - 5.10 volts dc

black / green - 12.50 volts dc

so there never was a short right... the guys CAS went bad.. he bought a disty that was for the wrong year and it's just wired in wrong? so.. which wires go where.. any luck finding those fsms?

Black / White (5v) | White Wire to Disty

Black / Green (12v) | Red Wire to Disty

Yellow / Green (5v) | Green Wire to Disty

Black = Black = Ground

It is a "circular" harness and the 5v connections are opposite whereas the 12v and ground are opposite.

So should I just switch the 5v connections and see if that works?

I wouldn't reverse the wires. They should be ok unless they have been moved around at another time.

The black/white wire is the one that carries the CAS signal I believe. Could you do another test on that wire? I would like to know what the AC voltage is on that wire while cranking the engine.

If you do this test then before making the measurement place your meter in the AC voltage mode and then measure the battery voltage. Hopefully your meter will block the DC component when measuring AC so the reading should decay down to zero after contact.

Black / White (5v) | White Wire to Disty

Black / Green (12v) | Red Wire to Disty

Yellow / Green (5v) | Green Wire to Disty

Black = Black = Ground

This should be correct. All the readings are good too. You could try switching the white and green wires but if it's as described above it should be right. There are conflicting diagrahms in the FSM as to whether or not SPFI and MPFI are the same arrangement in the connector.

It may be possible that while nearly identical the MPFI disty and the SPFI ones are not compatible, whether or not the connections are the same. The part # you gave early in this thread was for an MPFI right? You should have D4P84-03 for an SPFI. I think what you have is an XT(NA MPFI) D4P86-03

Does anyone else know specifically about MPFI/SPFI disty compatibility?

are you sure the timing belt is not broken? suppose it broke and dude replaced the disty and now you have the car. and the belt is still broken?

check to see if the rotor is rotating while cranking the motor

are you sure the timing belt is not broken? suppose it broke and dude replaced the disty and now you have the car. and the belt is still broken?

check to see if the rotor is rotating while cranking the motor

Dude, yes, the belts are fine. I took the covers off i can see them moving just fine. Yes, the rotor turns.. those are some of the first things I checked right after fuses.

Does anyone else know specifically about MPFI/SPFI disty compatibility?

I know the disty I took out of the SPFI loyale was good because that motor would run. It doesn't seem to make a difference.. I'll go test that on ac voltage then..

Both the 5v dc connections read 0.015 v ac while cranking. 12v dc stuff reads like 33v ac, 11v ac, 5v ac, 1.5v ac, nothing, then just repeats.. doesn't matter if I'm cranking.

Thanks for making the AC tests Subrat84. From your readings it does look like your meter blocks DC in the AC mode and that is good. The meter will show something at first because when you first touch the probes to DC power it charges a capacitor in the meter and this looks like AC to the meter. When the cap is fully charged the reading shows zero volts. Now on to the real problem at hand.

Since the reading you took showed basically no AC voltage it looks to me that the CAS output is bad. Unless we are doing something wrong that I am missing here I think you need a new CAS. I will state though that this AC test is something that I haven't done before except with one other member and his results showed 4.3 volts AC on the output. This is more what I would expect to see with this test. The trouble is though that his engine doesn't run either. This leaves me a little baffeled :confused: . It would be better to do this check using a scope but not many have one of those handy. I'm pretty confident of this test though. I am trying to have Daeron verify this testing since he has a running SPFI car.

Now by CAS output you mean coming from the ECU? I did this test with the disty unplugged. Does that or should that make a difference? I tested the wiring side.. not the disty side.

The DCv tests are to be done on the harness side. Testing for the AC pulse would be a test of the disty wires. however this is not a hall effect distributor so I don't think yuo would see any AC voltage. Cougar, Why test on the AC scale? The FSMs proceedure says nothing about testing the disty on the AC scale.