Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is this 97 and 98 Legacy GT EG25 difference?

I pulled two EJ25's from Legacy GT sedans. one is a 1997 and the other is a 1998, both manual trans.

first - the 1998 doesn't have the charcoal canister and no existing lines on the manifold that i can see. but the 1997 does. are they all like that? looks like it has the mounting holes for the brackets...but nothing else. the 1997 has the canister and all the lines.

they both have a solenoid on the passengers side strut tower. each has a vaccuum line going to the item above it, whatever that is. but, one has two vacuum hoses going to the engine bay, the other has only one. they both have the line with the circular doohickey in it...whatever that thing is called, i've always wondered that.

anyway...what's the deal with one having one hose going to the engine and the other having two going to the engine?

you mean the charcoal canister is missing? do you think it's supposed to be, a model year difference or someone removed it? at first i figured someone removed it, but those solenoids being different and the lack of any metal lines in the intake manifold seemed to indicate the engines differ slightly in their vaccuum set up. i guess someone could have removed all of those metal line gadgetry, but seems like alot of work.

(both have ABS).

the two solenoids have the same connector, the hoses all connect to the same thing, bolts to the same location, look nearly identical but the one has one additional hose.

Subaru is not a large mfg, so they really dont do a lot of variations between models. The can is universal as far as i know to all ot his stylr subaru. I looked in my manuals and there is nothing anywhere that sasy "except GT". Mechanically i dont even see footnotes saying GT's are all that much different.

nipper