Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't believe what you guys pay for a head gasket job. Everyone I've seen has paid around a $1000.

[...]

Is labor really that expensive?

Let me preface this by saying that I don't condone high labor charges, especially by some shops that do poor quality work...

...but I'm curious; how long do you think changing HGs takes if done properly? What do you feel is an acceptable hourly rate for the job?

I changed every seal and belt and water pump for less than $300.
did you replace the headgasket? i know you didn't replace "every" seal, gasket, and oring so i don't know whether to assume you replaced the headgasket or not.

and yes labor is high. a company pays for more than labor...insurance, liability, equipment, warehouse space, property taxes, leases, property, FICA, social security...etc. having your car worked on is certainly not economical...that's why we don't drive Fords!

say it takes them 10 hours - 70/hour in labor and 300 in parts...that's $1,000. that wasn't for accuracy, i know it's not right, but it's not that far off either depending where you live.

Cam seals,front main oil pump seal, head gaskets,valve cover gaskets, water pump,Gator Back timing and drive belts.

I did kind of strike a deal with the guy at Auto zone when I bought all my stuff. I gave him a couple pizza's from my second job at Papa John's and he price matched everything to the lowest in town and then gave me an employee discount so for everything including hoses,coolant,oil, oil and air filter,pcv valve and said about gaskets and seals...It was $312.58.

Took me about 12-14 hrs do the labor with hand tools. So I figure a shop woth air tolls can knock it out in 6 then charge you 10 or 12. I'll do it myself and then if I screw something up I'll pay someone to fix it. Besides I buy lifetime warranty parts and if they break I get free new ones.

most on here stick with Subaru parts on the timing belt and water pump for this engine since it's an inteference engine. if the water pump or timing belt fails, they may replace the part, but you'll need your heads rebuilt, some new valves, and possibly have piston damage.

most people also have the heads sent to a machine shop. i always do. have them tested, milled, and a valve job. that's another $100-$200 as well.

the local dealer here charges $1,500 and that's for headgaskets only. jokers.

<<so for everything including hoses,coolant,oil, oil and air filter,pcv valve and said about gaskets and seals...It was $312.58.>>

there you go. if you were to buy subaru parts that bill would have been around $500, then like grossgary stated, have a shop check/trim the heads so the problem doesn's come back. $150+

i'm not exactly sure the flat rate is like 6 total for both sides add 2 more for the seals, thats 8. multiply that by labor rate $65hr (which is cheap) $520

thats where you get the $1000 +

did you replace the rear separator plate also?