Ultimate Subaru Message Board

25 spline to 23 spline

The 23 and 25 spline count are on the diff side, the hub sides are all the same.

The rear dif is 23 spline always.

The front diff on the turbo model is 25 spline. You can use the stubs from a 23 spline front diff gearbox but it would require you to split the gearbox apart which is quite a lot of work. What is easier is to use the 25spline driveshaft inner cups and put them on the new(?) driveshafts using the new ball race and everything. This is easy because all you need to do is loosen the boot clip, pull the boot back and remove the cups retaining ring. Then pull the cup off and fit the 25spline one on then to the reverse.

[

quote=Phizinza]The 23 and 25 spline count are on the diff side, the hub sides are all the same.

The rear dif is 23 spline always.

The front diff on the turbo model is 25 spline. You can use the stubs from a 23 spline front diff gearbox but it would require you to split the gearbox apart which is quite a lot of work. What is easier is to use the 25spline driveshaft inner cups and put them on the new(?) driveshafts using the new ball race and everything. This is easy because all you need to do is loosen the boot clip, pull the boot back and remove the cups retaining ring. Then pull the cup off and fit the 25spline one on then to the reverse.

So the splines at the rear hubs are the same either way? In the front I'll be using a 5sp dr from my old gl which is 23 spline. That being the case can I just swap in my 23 spline front axles?

Yeah, If you are running the 23 spline trans, just use a set of 23 spline non- turbo axles. Only reason top swap the stubs inside the diff would be to put the beefier 25 spline stubs into the D/R since you will be putting Turbo Horsepower through it. Although if you don't have a lift and don't thrash on her 23 spline will be fine.

If I'm reading this right, you have a 87 turbo car. And want to use the 23 spline axles. For that to work you'll have to change the transmission. Then simply buy a set of 23 splines from your favorite supplier. I'd recommend MWE the board seems to have had good luck with them.