Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What information/progress toward this useful, practical, and possible goal has anyone here found/made, in the U.S.A. ? Gen2 and EJ22 especially

I'm not shipping my car to Enghland to get it done.

Since gas will hit $5.00 within a couple years and stay there (stated by me 5/22/07), I want to explore LPG conversion, partly for the technical challenge and partly, maybe, to start a business exploiting panicky wastrels.:rolleyes:

I have all the info the torus tanks, pumps, solenoids. I know about the old school vaporiser/venturi systems. Not going to to that. Please don't mention safety factors for pressurized tanks. Urban myth. Performance would be entirely comparable if the conversion was injector based instead of venturi.

Has anyone here taken any time to research dual-fuel conversions to autogas/gasoline? Who does the ECU mapping? What injectors to use?

i've searced for this and found a good deal of information on it. the aussie guys seem more motivated to do this than others. someone there even converted an EJ22 to a distributor ignition, i've seen the pic's and write up about it. i'd do a search on here and on the internet, i think you'll find a good bit of information, i did. i would also like to do it for the learning component...i think it's about 1,435th on the list though!

I'm not trying to direct you in your hopes of conversion as I've used Propane

to run some work vans,but isn't LPG just a quick no result fix to another problem down the road.As has been stated before Propane/ LPG are not infinite supplies and their costs will continue to rise along with traditional petroleum? It is one reason we switched back to gas to run our vans in addition to performance issues.Our vans ran typically 45000 to 50000 miles per year and we replaced engines every third year,by the third year the vans would hardly pull themselves not to mention any equipment,which isn't to say that's bad to get 130000 to 150000 miles per engine but we went through alot of trials to get that kind of duration,including finding outlets for fill ups.When I left the company all vans were operating on gas,with better life expectancy,and more power through out the life of the engine,actually some of the engines were achieving 200000 miles plus before overhaul.

I'm not trying to direct you in your hopes of conversion as I've used Propane

to run some work vans,but isn't LPG just a quick no result fix to another problem down the road.As has been stated before Propane/ LPG are not infinite supplies and their costs will continue to rise along with traditional petroleum? It is one reason we switched back to gas to run our vans in addition to performance issues.Our vans ran typically 45000 to 50000 miles per year and we replaced engines every third year,by the third year the vans would hardly pull themselves not to mention any equipment,which isn't to say that's bad to get 130000 to 150000 miles per engine but we went through alot of trials to get that kind of duration,including finding outlets for fill ups.When I left the company all vans were operating on gas,with better life expectancy,and more power through out the life of the engine,actually some of the engines were achieving 200000 miles plus before overhaul.

It turns out that Subarus are not ideal candidates, since they have somewhat softer valve seats and suffer recession in the somewhat cleaner LPG combustion environment.

There are a couple of Eurropean companies that do parallel LPG/gasoline systems, with a dash switch. For instance:

http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/systems/fotogalerie/honda.html

A more diy set seems to be:

http://www.lpg-kits.com/vogas4.htm

The valve recession issue has been addressed, with a lube injection system, which uses about a quart over 10k miles. The engine still runs much cleaner than with gasoline.

Performance with the sequential injection kits is not an issue, but timing and mapping the ecu is key.

I expect there will never in my lifetime be a comparable demand for LPG for cars as there is for gasoline. The cost currently is about half per mile what gasoline is, and the payback is in 20-30k miles.

VERY steep learning curve, and if for one installation, I'd need a lot of sapre development time.

Things change, however, is the one thing I know, and usually not for the better where society is concerned.

mpergielelmhurstil97legato99forester.

I know about the old school vaporiser/venturi systems.

That's about all I see here.

Since gas will hit $5.00 within a couple years and stay there

Gas costs that here/now, though the cost of propane (here) has mirrored the cost of gasoline, there being 0 (no) advantage to convert anything.

The only way an "advantage" can be had here is to run your car on portable tanks (illegal in Canada), as the filling stations tack the road tax on auto propane just the same as gasoline.