Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a new '88 wagon

What kind of rims do you have????

I am uber envious, that is the exact soob I want except i HATE the green digidash..... I am an analog man. my other car is a 75 datsun 280Z with perfectly wonderful big round analog tach and speedo, and combination amp/fuel, water/oil gauges, and an analog clock. When lexus came out with the IS300 with its "chronometer-style instrumentation" i wanted to do murder to the marketers.... they are JUST ANALOG GAUGES YOU NITS!!!

the only thing I could wish for MORE would be D/R fulltime AWD.. but that is a totally custom built transmission, that only one person that I know of in the world has.. (phizinza, he figgered it out himself over the winter.)

The seats in these GL-10s ROCK, mine are all shot and worn out and they are STILL incredibly comfortable. Plus, your trip comp controls are down low.. before 88 they were right next to the stereo, which makes installing a full DIN sized stereo a royal PITA.

yes, i tooo hate the digi-dash cluster. My other subie has the analog cluster. i'm hoping that i can just pull all that stuff out of my other one to make one nice subie.

i doing some compression tests to this new subie and might have a valve bent because i'm getting like 10 pounds in a coupple of my cylenders. i'm still begging for a gasket issue. but we'll find out as the project moves on.

edit: as for the rims i dont have any. i have some in mind that are pretty nice. but at the moment when this car is done i'm stealing the ones off my other subie.

i'm hoping for the best. My roomate and I are going to be ripping it apart here this weekend. A lot of the gaskets and seals are blown so we're going to look into everything about it since i dont know a thing about this car, except that it looks in good shape.

i doing some compression tests to this new subie and might have a valve bent because i'm getting like 10 pounds in a coupple of my cylenders. i'm still begging for a gasket issue. but we'll find out as the project moves on.

Just a thought. If your low-compression cylinders are both on the same side, maybe the motor slipped a couple of teeth on that side's timing belt. Might be why it was in the JY to begin with--people not knowing it's a non-interference motor, thinking it's trashed.

Just a thought. If your low-compression cylinders are both on the same side, maybe the motor slipped a couple of teeth on that side's timing belt. Might be why it was in the JY to begin with--people not knowing it's a non-interference motor, thinking it's trashed.

Good point. Sounds like you are wanting to do a thorough job "tuning up" this engine, so may as well yank it and do the full nine yards. maybe even as far as a pre-emptive head gasket replacement.

regarding the cluster swap, it is FAR from plug and play.. you even have to change the fuel tank level sender to make the analog cluster work. Not worth it in MY book (not for my car at least) but it is certainly doable. Just thought I would say that it was not a simple operation, thats all. many have succeeded, I decided not to even think about it.

I had two of those same cars at one time. They were even the same color as yours is. One was purchased new. I'm sure you will like it. I still have the factory service manual for it in case you have any questions.

the only thing I could wish for MORE would be D/R fulltime AWD.. but that is a totally custom built transmission, that only one person that I know of in the world has.. (phizinza, he figgered it out himself over the winter.)

what about the FT4WD D/R boxes that are in the RX?

obviously im not in the market very much... I guess phiz's project gearbox blinded me to the possibility. there were fulltime AWD d/r boxes???? hunh. I thought anything with a locking center diff was single range like my dads XT6.

thats the second time this weekend i've had my foot in my mouth!! im gonna lay off these "frivolous posts" somewhat.

It's good to note that RX boxes while being technically dual range, have only a 1.2 reduction where as the normal PT D/R had 1.59. Also the RX boxes are 3.7 final to begin with so even in low you have gears nearly as tall as the HI range of the 3.9 final drive PT boxes. Although the RX boxes have slightly lower and closer ratios for 2nd through 5th gears.

Ultimate Tranny: 3.9 and 1.59 D/R, with Fulltime RX gears

Anywho, so my friend and i cracked open the block and all of the above are bad with the thing. Found that the rings are beyond blown (they were actually not even there). Both head gaskets were shot. 2 exhaust valves were open. (the seal broke off and stuck it open) the turbo Gaskets were leaking. and the timing cover was melted. among other things. i got more pictures up mostly of the interrior but there are engine pictures in there too.

:Flame:http://dt.milehighdance.com/site/camera/my%20subie%20buid/