Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK....after going over and over engine looking for vacuum leaks,intake manifold leaks, checking cat"I got a hole knocked through the middle now".

I pull the timimg cover and my driver side cam is now somehow 1 tooth off.. I guess when I got on the interstate yesterday...since this is when it happened...4800 rpm's was enough to jump it....considering I changed it 4000 miles ago I'm wondering if the tensioner is bad...But man let me tell you.. You got to put it in a vice to collapse it and put a nail in it.

Oh well...shouldn't take more than a few hours.

any tips to make it easier to get the cams to line up and stay lined up when putting belt on?...It took me like an hour to get it on and tight last time.

Do you have an AT or MT?

I've heard using wooden clothes pins can be helpful in holding the belt in various places while lining it up. Maybe you need a new tensioner? I think EndWrench said it should take least 3 minutes and maybe as long as ten to compress the tensioner slooowllllyyy.

Timimg belt not culprit!

after taking out radiator and fans and draining cooling system and pulling belts and covers and balancer i find that my eyes were deceiving me in looking down on marks...

sp after going back together with it...I start checking spark and fuel....low and behold a fuel injector isn't working properly so I pull it out clean it up. put it back in still missing!

so to make sure that the fuel injector is the problem i switched it with another one on the other side of the motor and the car runs great!

leaving it alone and I know if the cylinder with suspect injector starts missing what the problem is...

I can't believe it took me 3 days to find the miss and 10 minutes to fix it...for now.