Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The things you do to get home

Was on my way home today when my throttle cable snapped. So i took it apart near the carb, cut some of the case back, took my needlenose vise grips and clamped it back together. Made it the rest of the way home with no problem. Are all ea82 throttle cables the same? How big of a job to replace it?

:banana:

Pretty easy to swap, the clip thru the firewall kindof sucks but other than that not bad. Not all the same but if you take yours with you to the parts store and compare it, it won't be too had to match up. AdvanceAuto has had the right ones for me before.

Pretty easy to swap, the clip thru the firewall kindof sucks but other than that not bad. Not all the same but if you take yours with you to the parts store and compare it, it won't be too had to match up. AdvanceAuto has had the right ones for me before.
Thanks i orderd one today wont be here untill wed or thur, so untill then i took more of the case off and pulled the wire back to the carb and tied a not in it untill i can replace it. The way I have it rigged i could probaly get another 10k out of it.:lol:

Thanks i orderd one today wont be here untill wed or thur, so untill then i took more of the case off and pulled the wire back to the carb and tied a not in it untill i can replace it. The way I have it rigged i could probaly get another 10k out of it.:lol:

Throw a couple of wire nuts in the glovebox in the meantime, just in case :lol:

Totally off topic, but this thread reminded me of a story my dad told me about a 1945 ford (yeah i know) and how he didnt have a welder in new york... but he had one in florida.

SO!!!

He vice-gripped (hehe) the front crossmember to the subframe, and drove over 1200 miles to his welder.

GOD SPEED VISE GRIPS!!!!!

i know i have two pairs in EACH of my cars :) both the Ej22T and the Ea82T :) through i havent needed to use them.... YET

I had a 82 gl sedan 2wd that the fuel pump went out on me in the middle of nowhere. So i took the windshield washer pump off and hooked it to the fuel line and hit the washer button to fill the carb to run the engine. every few minutes I would just hit the button and fill the carb back up. I went three day like that untill I got a new pump, also snapped a clutch cable one time and held it together with vise grips.

I had a 82 gl sedan 2wd that the fuel pump went out on me in the middle of nowhere. So i took the windshield washer pump off and hooked it to the fuel line and hit the washer button to fill the carb to run the engine. every few minutes I would just hit the button and fill the carb back up. I went three day like that untill I got a new pump, also snapped a clutch cable one time and held it together with vise grips.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Teh Winnar!!!!!

In high school I had a 73 Datsun pickup, 1800cc motor with a Weber carb.. The stock throttle cable didn't quite mate up to the weber, so to test it we clamped the cable to the carb linkage with a pair of needlenose vice grips... Worked really well and I drove it for a bit like that, but it wouldn't clear the hood, so my buddy and I drove it for a few days like that with no hood until I got some cable clamps to hold the throttle cable on with. Was pretty neat watchin the vice grips move around as you worked the throttle, since they pretty much stuck straight up in the air lol.

also snapped a clutch cable one time and held it together with vise grips.

Clutch cables are really optional... just start the car in 1st (starter will get the car moving and start the engine in 1st gear), and mesh the gears properly for all subsequent shifts. And try not to stop.

-=Russ=-

wiper transmnission went toast

I tied the middle of an extension cord to the arm

around through

driver's and pass windows and plugged it into itself.

One hand did the wipen' other did the driven'.

I give high five for your Macguiverism!:grin:

Me Too!!!

I think most people that drive old subes have some Mac in them.:lol:

I Agree, Absolutely!

Clutch cables are really optional... just start the car in 1st (starter will get the car moving and start the engine in 1st gear), and mesh the gears properly for all subsequent shifts. And try not to stop.

-=Russ=-

Yes, it works, except if your car is Parked near other cars... :-\ ...it becomes pretty Hard.

Let me tell you a short Story: in 1987, all my Family and I, where in a trip to the Pacific`s Ocean Coast of our Country (Choluteca City) in our 1969 Mercury Comet, when the Throtle Cable did broke... I Remember dad did tie a tiny rope directly to the Carb`s Accelerator Plate, and Did Drove it near 150 Kms acceleratin` with his Left Hand!

I was a Child then, but that is one of the huge amount of Mechanical nice adventures I got, and I Think that almost everyone here must got those kind of rememberings.