Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How common is this viscous coupling faillure?

It's rare, and usually caused by an underinflated tire. Sadly it gives no hints that something bad is happening, unlike the auto which will give you one or two.

nipper

It seems that I have the same problem with the viscous coupling. My 1999 Outback with manual transmission has exactly the same symptoms. I found out from 1st Subaru parts that the new vc costs about $450. How complicated is the removal and installation of this partr? Do I have to drop the transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

I might have an issue then... When I pulled the trans out of my 90 legacy donor fluid poured out of the back...

Mine is at the dealer now getting this done. I got a call yesterday from the service mgr asking what type of fluid I had in the tranny, because he said a little would leaked out when the drive shaft/viscous coupler was removed. I hope to be able to report that I got my first good shake from a dealer service by the end of the week. Keeping fingers crossed.

It's rare, and usually caused by an underinflated tire. Sadly it gives no hints that something bad is happening, unlike the auto which will give you one or two.

nipper

No hints is right. I still haven't been able to reproduce it. I've got to do some highway driving this afternoon so that might do it.

I suspect that the damage was done before we bought it because the tires are good, and I've kept them equally inflated. If that's the case, it means that the car has been driven thousands of miles without symptoms.