Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proud new Owner

SubaruBratBoy

That would be if you were going ej22t. Offroading a turbo won't be optimal, because it has to spool to make its power. For a regular ej22 you *can* use the stock ea81 4spd tranny, but they are notorious for having syncro problems, and bad gearing. The one in my hatch grinds just about every time into 3rd and half of the time into 4th. Best bet would be, if you wantto swap transmissions, to find an ea82 5spd dual range and two piece driveshaft. It'll take some fabbing up, but if you look up at the top right of your screen, in the USRM, there are a couple write-ups in there about how to do it.

If you are using the search function of the site, it doesn't recognize words less than four letters.

well, if you've got a real floor jack, it's easy. there's a plate on the engine crossmember on the front. and the rear diff. both are extremely solid (if they aren't, don't EVER drive the car!!!!! part it out now).

as for jack stands. the radius rod brackets (rod coming back from the lower control arm, the brackets on the body where these mount to) are pretty solid in the front. and the rear torsion bar (big bar in front of the rear wheels) are also sturdy.

tranny options:

your EA81 4-speed, presumably dual-range (D/R) 4WD (right?): mediocre synchro's decent gearing (4th gear is comparable to 5th in the newer trannies though, so it's not much different), CRAPPY linkage. probably won't hold the extra power well.

EA82 D/R 5-speed: very common, better synchro's, better linkage, lowest gearing. no "AWD" option. FWD or 4WD (which you can't use on pavement without putting some serious wear on the tranny. same as the EA81 trans).

EA82 RX trans. VERY rare, took me about 5 months to find one, and it cost me about $600 when it got to my door. this is the one thing I'm immensly disappointed with in my swap. the gearing is so crappy. low range is only 1.2:1, and axle ratio is 3.7:1. AND, it's the ONLY subaru 5-speed (as far as I've been able to find) where 4th gear is NOT an overdrive. meaning you'll end up turning some pretty high rpms on the freeway, despite the taller axle ratio.

advantage: full-time 4WD. means you can have power to all 4 wheels even on the pavement. but when the center diff is unlocked (has to be on dry pavement) there's nothing to ensure even power distribution. so if you're turning hard and accelerating, your inside front wheel will spin.

all of the above options will require an engine-to-tranny adapter plate. and the use of an EA-series flywheel and clutch (no aftermarket performance options)

EJ 5-speed AWD similar synchro's and linkage to an EA82 5-speed. but 4.111 axle ratio, taller 1-5 gears, and viscous limited slip center diff (enough slip to use it on the street, but enough lock to solve the above wheelspin problem). and, if you get a whole donor legacy for your engine (which I would recommend 10 fold), make sure it's a 5-speed, and you've already got everything you need.

with the lower axle ratio and better torque curve of the EJ motor, you won't even miss low range. and the taller 3-5 gears will allow better freeway cruising.

disadvantages: some serious tranny crossmember modifications will be necessary, as well as a bit of linkage mods, and the driveshaft will need to be shortened (I think). you'll also need to make some hybrid rear axles to mate the legacy rear diff to the EA car (*probably* won't need any more parts than come with your legacy).

disadvantages: some serious tranny crossmember modifications will be necessary, as well as a bit of linkage mods, and the driveshaft will need to be shortened (I think). you'll also need to make some hybrid rear axles to mate the legacy rear diff to the EA car

If the Legacy is early enough, as in before 95(i think) the rear axles will mate up perfect. No mods needed. For the 95? up with slide in stubs you will have to swap doj cups just like for the front.

The driveshaft will need to be ~2 inches shorter. As long as it is from a 90-94 legacy, The 95-99's have a longer wheelbase, thus longer driveshaft.

Rule of thumb... Get the wheelbase figures from both cars. Subtract and find the difference. It will need to be shortened by that much.

To make the shift linkages fit into stock location for the brat they will need to be shortened by 2 inches. Alternatively you can find a 2wd center console(radio and shift area in one peice) and use it and not have to modify the linkages at all. Except where they mount to the car.

Transmission crossmember is a custom job. I'm tinkering around right now and might make them available in the future. At the very least I'll do a write up of how to make it.

Alright due to the size of the pictures and my not knowing how to make them smaller i had to post them on my myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/danaanhenry once you get there click on pics and choose the album labeled "my brat" it may take a minute or so for the pictures to load.

Uh, yeah. I'm not a myspace person... However I take offence to your name, lol.

If you want I will host the pics on my photobucket and post them here for the other non myspacers to see.

iownasubaru@yahoo.com if ya wanna send them...

Rule of thumb... Get the wheelbase figures from both cars. Subtract and find the difference. It will need to be shortened by that much.

try again ;)

an EJ AWD tranny and a EA 4WD tranny are not the same length. I don't remember which is longer and which is shorter, but they are different.

that information is in the write-up though...

try again ;)

an EJ AWD tranny and a EA 4WD tranny are not the same length. I don't remember which is longer and which is shorter, but they are different.

that information is in the write-up though...

Right. If they were the same then a different driveshaft wouldn't be needed at all.

I'll recheck my calculations when I find my notebook.

But my line of thinking is this. The motor and trans mount in the same relative position in the cars. As do the read diffs. The distance between the two is what changes. Wouldn't the driveshaft change in proportion the the wheelbase as well.

Edit:::: This only applies to using the driveshaft from a donor EJ car. Not using an ea82 driveshaft...

But my line of thinking is this. The motor and trans mount in the same relative position in the cars. As do the read diffs. The distance between the two is what changes. Wouldn't the driveshaft change in proportion the the wheelbase as well.

yes, but if the tranny is not the same length, that effects it as well.

I'm fairly sure there isn't a combo that will work with an EJ trans in an EA car without modification.

haha well it's 3:33am and i just got off work. Working at an emergency clinic is great money but you get called in at all hours. Yeah when i saw your name Bratman i thought man that'd be a great vanity plate for my subaru. Is it already taken? Cause worse comes to worse i could be Bratboy. But you know Bratboy sounds like a side kick, like robin... ill e-mail you the pics in the mornin so i can go to bed. I really want to keep my four-wheel drive on my brat. Would it be easier to change it into an AWD or have it front wheel drive and be able to put it into the 4wd high and low or whatever.

yes, but if the tranny is not the same length, that effects it as well.

I'm fairly sure there isn't a combo that will work with an EJ trans in an EA car without modification.

There isn't at all not even for the short little hatch. The regular brat wagon ea81 shaft is about two inches too short, without making any definative measurements.

I did some refiguring for it while I wasn't busy at work today and that is the one variable that I had left out of my equating...:dead:

Would it be easier to change it into an AWD or have it front wheel drive and be able to put it into the 4wd high and low or whatever.

It would make things very much simpler to keep the regular 4wd setup in the brat... Honestly, what I would do if it were me is find an ea82 5spd dual range 4wd tranny, and driveshaft. And get one of Jerry's(bratsrus1) kits to mnount it up real nice and stock like. Then do the adapter plate and motor swap.

You can check with your local DMV for the availiblity of personal plates for your Brat. I'm in VA so it wouldn't matter if it was taken here or not...