Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU help

I have converted my 89 MPFI wagon to Turbo.

But it will only run with the mpfi ecu, when i plug in the turbo ecu, it just wont start. The turbo one is an 88 and from an Auto XT.

Ive looked at wiring diagrams and both are the same, from what i can tell.

Anybody had similar problems?

Cheers

XT ECU's and wiring suck. try a non XT ECU? i've had trouble getting my swapped XT "turbo" to run right.

maybe the ECU is bad? does the fuel pump prime with the turbo ECU? plug the test connectors in and see if you can hear the fuel pump prime, it should prime everything 3 seconds or something like that, it's easy to hear.

Yeah fuel pump primes, i had 2 codes but i fixed them, knock sensor and WGDS, all gone now. The only code the ecu flashes is 3, which means Australian Turbo Auto.

I have the car running with a non turbo ECU and it works, but i wanna run the turbo ecu.

I will look apon the wiring diagram to find out more about the transmission signal.

Cheers

is it possible that the XT ECU came from a car with a 4EAT? IIRC, the ECU from the 4EAT cars needs a signal of some sort from the TCU (transmission computer) to function

No, it doesn't. The only signals from outside of the trans that the TCU needs are the Throttle Position Sensor signals. The wiring from the TPS splits and runs parallel to both the ECU and TCU. There is no "communication" between the 2.

TYhe problem must be something else. It could be the Neutral switch?

I thought all flapper style MAF's had 3 plugs for the ecu, and all Hotwire types had 4 plugs.

I havent checked for whether its spark or fuel that is missing.

An easy way of checkin for spark would be with a timing light?

Pull a plug or lead, hold near block and crank should see spark .