Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help? got ripped off on ebay! 2

hi, just removed the trans and took out the throw out bearing and it looks ok and spins nice... The back of the throw out bearing were the clutch pushes it is worn down like its been riding on the thing that pushes out the bearing...also i found a couple pieces of a washer and it looks like it came from the back of the throw out bearing...Is the wearing on the back of the throw out bearing normal? is there a spacer/washer that goes behind the throw out bearing were it meets the trans?

IF any of you have no clue what im talkin about read the other thread about "Please help? Got ripped off on ebay!" thanks or any and all help...I will post some pics of it later so check back...

-GwyNative

Is the wearing on the back of the throw out bearing normal?

Yes - there's always a couple little divits there where the release fork rides on the bearing carrier. The bearing is a two peice assembly with a "holder" made of cast steel, and the bearing itself which is pressed on. If you buy a new bearing make sure you get the right size, and it would be best if you could have a machine shop press the old one off and the new one on as they are rather tight.

is there a spacer/washer that goes behind the throw out bearing were it meets the trans?

None that I've ever seen. The bearing holder slides forward and back on a rigid tube that surrounds the splined input shaft for the trans. Being that it slides with the action of the fork there wouldn't be a use for any sort of washer or spacer. At least I've never seen one.

Otherwise what you describe sounds typical. I would replace the bearing even if it sounds alright - having to replace it a few thousand from now would suck.

It's a lot easier to pull the engine than the trans, but it sounds like you already got it out. Putting it back in sucks and if it were me I would be installing a 5 speed for sure. The 4's suck with a vengance.

GD

How will i know if the bearings are good or not?

You don't - or more accurately you don't know how much life is left in it. They are constructed in such a way that it makes them impossible to see the bearing surfaces or the state of the grease in them. Just replace it as they are cheap and you don't want to have to open it up for a $20 bearing.

and how will i know that the trans is no good before i put it back in?

You really can't - the transaxles aren't easily services except by those with intimate knowledge and experience. Expect to destroy 1 or 2 units in the attainment of said knowledge. They are not easy to dissasemble or reassemble, and once open it takes detailed knowledge and tools to check out the components (which there are litterally hundreds of). Just install it with good mounts (here's my write up on the 4 speed mount situation: http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/4speed_mounts.html ), and make sure to modify the shift linkage so there's no slop.

what 5 speed would fit my 1985 brat? thanks for the help...

The 5 speed is absolutely THE best upgrade for an EA81. It's simple, looks 100% stock on the inside with only the addition of an extra gear. They are more rugged, have a 1000% better shift linkage, and the spread of the gears means 25 MPH is no longer lugging in 3rd or reving out in 2nd. There are more clutch options for it as well. I can't stress enough how amazing the difference is. The 5 speed you want will be a 5 speed dual range 4WD tranny from an 85 to 89 EA82 body wagon, sedan, or 3 door coupe (87-89). You should also contact "bratsrus1" (Jerry) as he sells a kit for $100 that will make the installation much, much easier. There's plenty of threads on this if you do a search, and I beleive there's an article in the online repair manual about it as well (maybe several).

GD

wow thanks for takin the time to help me out...I have decided to go with the 5 speed trans because im not gonna put that trans back in there not knowing if its still gonna be doing what its doing...If you know of anyone that has one for sale or that knows were i can get one please let me know...Thanks again

-GwyNative