Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Disc Dust Shields - Rusted Thru

Need Advice and opinions. I'm currently redoing the rear brakes on a 96 OBW with ~216K, with the main purpose of replacing the pads and the rotors only (cheaply). Upon inspection of the whole rear assembly, all appears to be in good shape with the exception of the 3/4 moon dust shields that encompass the rotors have rusted bad enough that there are fairly large gaps you can see through. These shields appear to have been welded on to the back mounting plate that the calipers bolt onto, so it does'nt appear that a stock replacment would be available unless I were to replace the whole back plate (which appears to be in good shape and would be a lot of extra work).

Question:

Should I just "rip" them off now knowing that eventually they'll dissentigrate anyway (any concerns with having no dust shield at all)?

Anyone know of an aftermarket kit that would basically use the holes that the calipers bolt onto to hold a new shield in place?

Update:

Just spoke to Jason at Mike Scharf Subaru in Washington, new back plates with the welded on dust shields would be $90+ each. I'm sure a could find some in good condition at a salvage yard for a small fraction of that, but wondering if it's worth the bother....

you mentioned "cheap". i wouldn't replace the rear rotors unless you had vibrations or something is wrong with them. subaru rear rotors rarely need replacement in my experience...actually never in my experience.

i wouldn't be concerned with the dust shield...of course i can't see it, but i'd just leave it. at most i might hit it with some POR-15 type stuff..or the cheaper knock offs ,or just spray it with rust inhibiting enamel automotive paint. if it's that rusted back there i would suggest touching as few bolts as possible anywhere near that rear hub. they can really suck to work on if there's rust. at 12 years old and 216,000 miles there are probably other higher priority items than rust holes in the rear brake dust shields.

you mentioned "cheap". i wouldn't replace the rear rotors unless you had vibrations or something is wrong with them. subaru rear rotors rarely need replacement in my experience...actually never in my experience.

i wouldn't be concerned with the dust shield...of course i can't see it, but i'd just leave it. at most i might hit it with some POR-15 type stuff..or the cheaper knock offs ,or just spray it with rust inhibiting enamel automotive paint. if it's that rusted back there i would suggest touching as few bolts as possible anywhere near that rear hub. they can really suck to work on if there's rust. at 12 years old and 216,000 miles there are probably other higher priority items than rust holes in the rear brake dust shields.

Well the driver side is in rough shape inside is rough and glazed (frozen slide pin) and the outside is scored too from metal on metal from no pad left (Yes I neglected them). I can purchase Raybestos GS rotors new for $17/ea for the cost of turning the old rotors. Yes, their cheap, made in China, but I've had good luck with the fronts. I haven't checked on what the local shops want for turning rotors these days...

Well the driver side is in rough shape inside is rough and glazed (frozen slide pin) and the outside is scored too from metal on metal from no pad left (Yes I neglected them). I can purchase Raybestos GS rotors new for $17/ea for the cost of turning the old rotors. Yes, their cheap, made in China, but I've had good luck with the fronts. I haven't checked on what the local shops want for turning rotors these days...

There is more and more junk coming out of china, so let the buyer beware. The OE industry is working hard to fight this, but it seems ot be a loosing battle as long as China doesnt give a damn about its silly american customers.Alot of the rotors out of china are made up of scrap metal.

Dont buy cheap when it comes to brakes.

nipper