Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Suspect Starting Problem..Not sure??

every Once in a while I will have to turn the ign. key twice before the car will start...the first turn of the key will start the engine only momentarily and then dies out..no problem with the second turn of the key, it starts but with a slight increase in rpm then what is normal when there is no perceived problem...I believe this only happens when the car is started first time in the day(cold or hot weather makes no difference)...also there is no CEL that comes on...2001 auto outback auto

To see if the fuel is leaking back to the tank in the line you might try turning the key to the 'Run' position fisrt then back to 'Off'. This should prime the line if it is the trouble. Then try starting the engine and see if it runs ok. The check valve in the line may be leaking and allowing a fuel backflow to occur.

To see if the fuel is leaking back to the tank in the line you might try turning the key to the 'Run' position fisrt then back to 'Off'. This should prime the line if it is the trouble. Then try starting the engine and see if it runs ok. The check valve in the line may be leaking and allowing a fuel backflow to occur.
You got me thinking..usually the problem occurs when I am in a hurry...I jump in the car, insert key, and turn the ign switch, when normally with any vehicle I own, I first like to hear the fuel pump activate before I start...