Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control problem after conversion

I was very lucky to get hold of a cruise control conversion kit for my 97 OBS thanks to a member on this board :banana:

I installed all the parts (Servo unit, computer, main switch, column switch, brake and clutch swiches).

I tried the curise control but it does not work. I do get the light on the main switch on the dash when I depress it. I checked and readjusted the clutch and brake switches too but thise still did not help. I also rechecked all electical connectors too and the fuse.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong. This kit came off of another 97 OBS with a manual like mine.

Does anybody have any troubleshooting procedures to try to find out what is causing the problem. :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Ken

It happened more than once that a plastic plug needed to push the switch was missing from its bracket on the pedal. Although if you have just installed the kit, the plug should still be there.

It happened more than once that a plastic plug needed to push the switch was missing from its bracket on the pedal. Although if you have just installed the kit, the plug should still be there.

I did check that, each switch is actuated by the black plunger against the white plug.

I do not have the exact Haynes manual but I have the wiring diagram that came with the kit. I will check the wires and colors to see if they match up.

Thanks, Ken

I did check that, each switch is actuated by the black plunger against the white plug.

I do not have the exact Haynes manual but I have the wiring diagram that came with the kit. I will check the wires and colors to see if they match up.

Thanks, Ken

I checked the wire colors to the switches (clutch and brake) and they matched what the wiring diagram showed.

I guess I am going to need to check the various components for the correct ohms when I get a chance.

Ken

I finally found my problem.

The column command switch had 4 pins instead of 3 from the kit I got. This caused only 2 pins to be contacted when plugged into the connector instead of all three.

Thanks again for the reply's.

Ken

Ken, were you able to fix it from here, or are you at an impasse because of the mismatching connectors?

And where'd you get the kit from? I want one too! Junk yards are kind of rare around here; the only one within an hour closed down years ago, so I'm not real hopeful that I can find a suitable donor on my own.

Ken, were you able to fix it from here, or are you at an impasse because of the mismatching connectors?

And where'd you get the kit from? I want one too! Junk yards are kind of rare around here; the only one within an hour closed down years ago, so I'm not real hopeful that I can find a suitable donor on my own.

I got a kit from a member from this board. It no longer worked on his car because of a JDM turbo engine change I believe.

I had the same problem and could not find one in a junk yard and the kit was no longer availabe from Subaru.

I had ordered a Subaru cruise control kit from a Subaru dealer for a Legacy hoping that some parts would work. When I got it I compared it to the literature I found on this board. The only parts that were the same were the clutch switch and the column command switch.

I swapped the command switch and it then worked.

Ken

So did you replace the Impreza switch with one from the Legacy kit?

FWIW, a 1995 wiring diagram shows 3 wires going to the command switch from the clockspring (roll connector).

Is the combination switch original to the car?

I did replace the command column switch from the Legacy kit I had. When looking at the switches the one I replaced had a 4 pin connector plugging into the stock 3 pin roll connector on the car. When plugging in the 4 pin connector the way it lines up into the roll connector only two of the three pins line up, hence the problem. The parts numbers of the switches are the same except for a -1 or -2 at the end. The good one had a white connector and the one I replaced had a black connector.

Anyway I am glad to have discovered my problem. :banana:

Ken