Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GCK CV Shafts

Ok so Ive got the popping in the front when im turning so i know its coming. Someone said something here about gck shafts. Couple Questions

Is it the complete axel end to end

since ive got the axels out i might as well replace the wheel bearings right

do they make the gck axels for the rear as well

thanks again

ben

i've got to order mine next week. only one currently is bad, but both are remans so i'm just gonna replace both and be done with it.

you can look at/order online thru autozone but i don't know what shipping would be.

Apparently, Autozone has been out of stock for these or the vendor has stopped supplying them. I just ordered one at this site: http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8662

It doesn't say that the brand is CGK but the SKU matches so I think its the same axel. I'll let you know when I get it if it works out alright. Also, anyone live around the Wallingford/Seattle area that is knowledgeable in changing front axels and willing to give me a hand? :)

What's the difference between GSP and GCK?

Just (30 minutes ago) finished putting a new GSP shaft in my BRAT.

Replaced 1 a few months ago (with a new axle from Autozone), then tried getting another a few weeks ago and they were only able to get me a Cardone remanufactured part. I ripped the end off the box I'd just brought in (they don't have a core charge, but they do recycle dead half-shafts), went home, did a Google search on the part number listed on the end of the box, and found the same part number at Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com).

I can't figure out how to link directly to the page, but go to http://www.rockauto.com, put in your car (ie 1984 Subaru BRAT), choose "drivetrain", then "CV half shaft assembly". They're $50.79 before shipping, and $57 shipped to my Seattle address! I thought Autozone's $90 price was very fair...and yes, I've ordered and received one, and the box looks identical (from my memory) to the one I got from Autozone. I'm not sure if the first one was GSP or GCK...it was a 3-letter abbreviation starting with G.... :) Either way, the part number was NCV66005.

It's new (not reman), comes with castle nut and roll pin, but no cotter pin. At $51, it's cheaper than any of the remanufactured ones. Unfortunately, that site doesn't sell rears (except for an $80 reman with a $50 core).

they must be NOS or such. i looked at the link provided and they don't mark them as remans. hmm, let us know how you like them. i've heard the GCK's are a redesigned, more heavy duty axle, so that may increase the cost. but anyway i've been paying 50 bucks each for remans that last maybe a year and i'm tired of it. i'll pay extra for quality.....

I would go with remans on the rear. Rear CV's last forever since there is no turning of the outside cup. However, the fronts go all the time.

I have a set of GCK axles for my EA81 and i loved them. Ive gone through pairs and pairs of reman axles, these GCK's are brand new and not much more expensive.

-Brian