Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OEM oil filter for 01 Legacy L?

I am looking for some OE oil filters for my 01 legacy L.

I looked at subarugenuineparts.com and didn't see any listed for that car. I also have an 05 saabaru linear with the 2.5 engine. I have a pile of filters for that car. Any chance they are the same filters? Where is a good place to find that stuff out?

Let's check out the wix specs. http://www.wixfilters.com is cool because it will show you the dimensions of the filter as well.

The thread size and pitch are the same, so the filter will thread onto the nipple. The Saabaru recommended filter is smaller dimensionally. The main differences from the OEM filter AFIAK would be no ADBV anti-drain back valve in the OEM filter, and the OEM filter I believe has a bypass valve setting of more like 22psid.

subarupartsforyou.com has the filter

2001 Subaru Legacy         2005 Saabaru 2.5LWix Part Number:            51334                      51365Height:                     3.194                      2.577Outer Diameter Top:         3.252                      2.685 Thread Size:                20X1.5 MM                  20X1.5 MMBy-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:  8-11                       8-11Anti-Drain Back Valve:      Yes                        YesBeta Ratio:                 2/20=22/40                 2/20=15/22Burst Pressure-PSI:         280                        300Max Flow Rate:              9-11 GPM                   9-11 GPMNominal Micron Rating:      19                         19

thanks guys. The 15208AA100 is the one I have and I had bought 6 for my saab 92-x. I just wanted to make sure I could also use it on the 01 legacy. I think when I went to the dealership and asked for a filter for the 01 legacy they gave me the same 15208AA100 filter.

The sixes take the AA030 filter.. Oddly enough, the filter BASE is the same size (you can screw on the A100 filter and it will fit and not leak) but the filter itself is bigger.. Must need more surface area for the H6, I wonder if there's any benefit to puttin the bigger filter on the four banger?

There could be. I believe Subaru has said the H6 filter may be used on the H4 engine, and it does have more filter media surface area. But the H4 filter may not be used on the H6. It is in an EndWrench article.

I wonder what filter the new H6 for the '08 Tribeca will take. That is like 6+ quart oil sump capacity I think I read.