Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Depending on the miles, and the fact that you are asking this. Now.

They are almost 9 years old, and probably not as efficent as they should be.

I agree, and others on this forum are right on when they say: Go with OEM wires/plugs. I've tried it both ways and the Subaru originals are the best.

I just replaced the wires on my dad's 95 legacy. It was missing on hills and took longer to start. I replaced them with subaru wires.

The new subaru wires looked the same as the ones that were on it, but they reduced the after dark wet-wire lightshow significantly, and eliminated the missfires. Car starts faster too.

I'm running the older red wires on my EJ22. The older red subaru wires have the date of manufacture on them in white letters... 1989. And they still work great.

What about Napa wires, any good???

I bought the Napa wires for my Forester eight Months ago, $ 55.00 magna core set. Last week went to change the plugs, one of the wires crumbled in my hand! I have removed these type wires mores times than I want to remember, so I know what I am doing.

I will buy other items from Napa, but not wires again.

John

What about Napa wires, any good???
the best rule of thumb is to not use any aftermarket wires on Subaru EJ engines. they work fine on EA/ER series stuff, the older generation stuff from the 80's and early 90's, but not on newer motors.

IMO/IME the only acceptable aftermarket wires for an EJ engine are Magencor wires, they are excellent and never need to be replaced and very reasonable in price. they have specifically spent time addressing the sensitivity of those motors to wire construction and design. they are excellent if you put 100,000 or more miles on a vehicle, but otherwise Subaru OEM is the way to go for most people. +1 on stock/OEM NGK plugs as well, there's no point in using anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO/IME the only acceptable aftermarket wires for an EJ engine are Magencor wires, they are excellent and never need to be replaced and very reasonable in price. they have specifically spent time addressing the sensitivity of those motors to wire construction and design. they are excellent if you put 100,000 or more miles on a vehicle, but otherwise Subaru OEM is the way to go for most people. +1 on stock/OEM NGK plugs as well, there's no point in using anything else.

I'll second this statement. They are the only aftermarket wires I'll use on any vehicle, except for my 1960 Triumph TR3, which uses solid copper wire, but has no electronics on it for the EMR to affect.

Jack