Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am about to do the struts on my 97 OBS and I would like to change the springs at the same time but don't want to dish out any more cash then I have to. I have seen a bunch of WRX takoff's do any of you know if these will fit the OBS? Any other springs that would fit? Thanks

are you aware of the search function? some things have been covered multiple times and those people won't necessarily pipe up, show up or see your thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73603&highlight=rear+springs

within the thread listed above i believe is a link to NASIOC that explains very specifically the interchangeability of many year/make/model subaru's. that's for the rear, i'm sure NASIOC has a very detailed thread about fronts as well. i saw a number of threads when searching here that would probably give you some good information as well.

are you aware of the search function? some things have been covered multiple times and those people won't necessarily pipe up, show up or see your thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73603&highlight=rear+springs

within the thread listed above i believe is a link to NASIOC that explains very specifically the interchangeability of many year/make/model subaru's. that's for the rear, i'm sure NASIOC has a very detailed thread about fronts as well. i saw a number of threads when searching here that would probably give you some good information as well.

I did search and wasn't able to find anything, actually the search engine would tell me there were no results for terms I knew full well there were (searching for KYB found no results, maybe not enough letters).

Thanks for the link, I was actually looking for that specific thread from some others that I did find.

glad you found it, the search function is completely lacking in one way, you need 4 letters. sometimes a place holder will help like KYB* or *KYB. or do a search for "front springs" or "rear springs", this gives some good results. it ends up being a game....sucks real bad to want XT6, OBS, WRX, ABS, TPS, MAF...etc, information.

Using google advanced search to search a domain usually works better than a message board's search engine.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with your stock springs.

My car isn't sitting evenly so that is why I was looking for springs.

Another quick question on struts, I was looking at KYB GR2's and they have two versions, one for cars with ABS and one for cars without. It seems like the bracket for the ABS system is just bolted in place and I can't see the need for a different strut. I wonder about this because I only see one at Subarugenuineparts.com, and also no one has the ABS version in stock. Can someone confirm or deny that I need the ABS version for a car with ABS?

the OBS has a typical issue where the rear sags (see Zapar's post about sagging rear end OBS's). are you saying the struts are to blame and not the springs? i think he fixed his by installing WRX rear springs.

as far as ABS and non ABS struts, my guess is that they're supplying ABS compatible struts to everyone...just the non-ABS vehicles won't use the brackets. this is quite common in the auto industry to try and make one part suitable for multiple applications. i have no experience with the struts but seen this multiple times on other parts, so wouldn't be surprised to see it here.

the OBS has a typical issue where the rear sags (see Zapar's post about sagging rear end OBS's). are you saying the struts are to blame and not the springs? i think he fixed his by installing WRX rear springs and new struts. seems like new struts should fix it...bring it back to stock so to speak. does that mean the stock struts are weak, since this is common?

as far as ABS and non ABS struts, my guess is that they're supplying ABS compatible struts to everyone...just the non-ABS vehicles won't use the brackets. this is quite common in the auto industry to try and make one part suitable for multiple applications. i have no experience with the struts but seen this multiple times on other parts, so wouldn't be surprised to see it here.