Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Can anyone help, I just brought my car in to have the check engine light cleared. It goes on and off every few days or so, it has been doing it since I put in a fuel injector cleaner in it about a month ago (may just be coincidence). Anyway I searched the threads and did not find an answer on this one, according to the garage you need a special tool that you can only get from Subaru in order to fix the problem. Can anyone give me any information on this?

Thanks

Denise

Hi. P1443 is a manufacturer/model specific code (not like the generic P0nnn codes). That might be why they told you they needed a special tool. What brand injector cleaner did you use?

The closest manual I have is for an '00obw, which says

DTC P1443 - EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM VENT CONTROL FUNCTION PROBLEM

DTC DETECTING CONDITION: Immediately after fault occurrence

TROUBLE SYMPTOM: Improper fuel supply

The procedure has you check all the vent lines and hoses associated with the charcoal canister, including:

• Clogging of vent hoses between canister and drain valve
  • Clogging of vent hose between drain valve and air filter
  • Clogging of drain filter

If that's good, it has you connect the test mode connectors under the dash and verify operation of the canister vent valve. If the vent valve is not operating, it has you replace it. The SELECT monitor can also be used to test the drain valve, that would be another special tool they might have been saying was needed.

Hi. P1443 is a manufacturer/model specific code (not like the generic P0nnn codes). That might be why they told you they needed a special tool. What brand injector cleaner did you use?

I used "Gunk" injector cleaner said on the bottle to use it every 10,000kms so I figured it was probably better than the lucas stuff I was using before that they recommended be used at every fill-up (yes flawed logic I know). Is there anything I can do (or have done) to the car with out having to use what ever tool it is that they are talking about? Also I have noticed that the car is very sensitive when it comes to the gas cap, and I have had the check engine light come on a couple times in the past and when it was cleared the mechanic suggested it could have been the gas cap being loose. Since then I have been careful to make sure it is good and secure. Maybe time for a new gas cap? and I have noticed lately when I open the gas cap at the gas station to fill up I no longer get that sound os pressure being released.

Well a new gas cap would probably be the cheapeset thing to try. Make sure there is no rust or anything where the gas cap seal contacts the filler neck. Depending on your area's emissions inspection requirements, shops might have a tool to pressure test the cap, but that could cost as much as a new cap.

Well a new gas cap would probably be the cheapeset thing to try. Make sure there is no rust or anything where the gas cap seal contacts the filler neck. Depending on your area's emissions inspection requirements, shops might have a tool to pressure test the cap, but that could cost as much as a new cap.

I think I will try that, Subaru qouted me 75.00 for a new gas cap, and my mechanic said I should stay away from aftermarket because they are usually not a good fit... too bad because they are about 15.00

I just looked on line and it looks like I can order an OEM for about 40.00 cdn with shipping and everything (from the U.S). Wish there was somewhere in Canada that had cheap Subaru parts!!!

[...]Anyway I searched the threads and did not find an answer on this one, according to the garage you need a special tool that you can only get from Subaru in order to fix the problem. Can anyone give me any information on this?

The evaporative emissions system can be difficult and/or time-consuming to diagnose, which is why dealers have special tools for the job. The "Evaporative System Pressure Tester" is used in conjunction with the "Select Monitor"; see:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/EvapSpring04.pdf

That doesn't mean a good mechanic can't find and repair the problem, just that the dealer may have an easier job.

Here's a bit more on evap:

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/fuel/FtEvapEmissionTestW00.pdf

I think I will try that, Subaru qouted me 75.00 for a new gas cap, and my mechanic said I should stay away from aftermarket because they are usually not a good fit... too bad because they are about 15.00[...]

Note that a rusted-through fuel tank filler pipe is not uncommon on a Subaru that's been exposed to winter driving where salt and sand are used on the roads, and will give the same symptom as a badly-sealing gas cap.