Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about two types of tires

Hi everyone,

I have a 98 Subaru Outback Wagon. I bought Yokohama Avids three years ago and despite driving about 10,000 miles per year, the tread has unevenly worn bare - probably from a poorly done alignment. I need new tires asap (young neice and nephew coming to visit and need safe tires!) and would like to go through Costco but they only have two tires in stock: Michelin Radial DTs and BF Goodrich Premier Touring. TireRack.com doesn't even review the Michelin Radials, which is sort of weird. Does anyone have an opinion of whether radial tires are ok for my Subie, and which of the two is superior? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so my main concern is good handling in the rain.

Thanks for any feedback. I love this website!

Eleni

I did a little more research and it turns out that the Michelin Radial DTs are actually the Michelin Harmony tire.

uh, radial as opposed to what? All modern car tires are radial.

If those are your choices you'd be just as well off flipping a coin.

I had Michelin Harmonys in the past (Nokian WRs now). I found the Harmonys to be very good all around tires. They were very good in the rain, better than my current Nokians. The Michelins started off quiet, but got noisy as they wore down. I don't know if the noise was characteristic of the tire, or due to an alignment issue that caused the tires to feather badly near the end of thier life. I got 60,000 miles out of them, but as I said, I had an alignment issue.

I would buy the Harmonys again if I decided to run dedicated snow tires in winter. I bought the Nokians this time because they are far better in snow.

I'd go with the Michelins, they do tend to get noisey as they wear. Seems they have softer rubber for the first 50-60% then a harder compound which makes more noise. But 60,000+ miles outweigh that IMO.

Running Michelin Harmony's now with just over 100k km on them. Still lots of tread left. They are a very good all around tire. I know that Canadian Tire Corp has a version of this tire called the Destiny (slightly different tread pattern). Sounds like Costco has their own version.

I do seem to be getting a bit more noise, but can't see any obvious cupping etc happening. At least not yet. I previously had Michelin X-Ones (very similar characteristics to the Harmony) and they did cup on the shoulders and got quite noisy the final 30% of their life. I easily got 160k km out of them and could have had 20k km more (but winter was coming).

Commuter