Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Japanese Domestic Market Transmission

1996 Legacy Outback Auto AWD. What's involved in swapping my US production model 4EAT tranny with a Japanese Domestic 4EAT Transmission? The vendor indicates that some "sensors" may need to be changed but doesn't seem to have any specific information. Steve

Some sensors may need to be changed seems to be a standard disclaimer for jdm parts. The wiring from yours may need to be swapped. And you definately want to find out what final drive ratio the tranny has. Because your rear diff MUST match or bad things will happen.

But, what lures you to a japanese auto trany most?

Some sensors may need to be changed seems to be a standard disclaimer for jdm parts. The wiring from yours may need to be swapped. And you definately want to find out what final drive ratio the tranny has. Because your rear diff MUST match or bad things will happen.

But, what lures you to a japanese auto trany most?

Price and assurances of most having less than 60K miles on them; far less than mine with 200K+. I'm going to have to rebuild or replace the clutch pack to correct a torque bind issue so it seems that the JDM would be a good choice UNLESS there is extensive modification required.

The jdm transmissions are really no different than our usdm models. You could find a known good tranny here for a heck of a lot cheaper than a jdm unit.

What procedures have you used to determine what is causing your torque bind?

I don't find any here for sale. The problem is clearly the Duty Solenoid C sticking. Since SHE has driven her car extensively with out telling me about the problem I have little doubt that the tailshaft extension clutch pack is also likely shot too. Given the 210K on the car and that to deal with it would be far simpler to get another tranny. Anyone have one out there for an EJ25 in a 96 Legacy Outback?

Steve

Be very careful when purchasing a used JDM tranny, make sure it has a warranty, and is from a reputable dealer, and a reputable mechanic does the work. I got burned with the JDM tranny I had put into my old Legacy.

Be very careful when purchasing a used JDM tranny, make sure it has a warranty, and is from a reputable dealer, and a reputable mechanic does the work. I got burned with the JDM tranny I had put into my old Legacy.

Good advice of course. I wonder where I might find interchange data for my car's tranny. Or maby interchage data for just the tailshaft extension and clutch pack. Sure would be nice to find one that has be retrofitted to the new configuration housing and had the clutches rebuild. I wonder how one might identify that as having been done?