Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since I'm gonna be losing my Loyale in the next week, I have decided to build a motor for the next soob I get. I'm planning on getting an Impreza probally 2000 or later.

So I will start off with which block would be best for performance? best one for relibality? and best of both?

Next up would be if it were going to be force injection which turbo would give best performance? best reliblity? and middle ground of the 2?

What size exhaust would be better for forced injection? N/A?

Which cams would be a good choice for the set ups?

What would be good heads?

What would be good set of pistons for forced? best for N/A?

Good tranny for forced? N/A?

I know there is gonna be a lot of debate over which is best for what. I also know that N/A will be more reliable than a forced injection due to less pressure on the system. As I come up with more I will use this as build thread when the time comes.

Ok, as long as you know what you've done:grin: .

My personal choice would be. Closed deck ej22t, dohc ej25 heads, custom forged pistons to get comp ratio back up to about 8.0-8.2. H-Beam rods, stiff valve springs, stock cams. Fp green turbo, big front mount, either a Link Plus ecu, or autotec(sp?). Usdm 05+ LGT 4.11 tranny with ppg gears, and upgraded center vcd, upgraded front and rear lsd's. And the lightest car I could stuff it into.

I have seen ones hit about 700whp, But those were built for racing.

But probally for me no more than 500whp but probally in the range of 375-425 or so.

Note: This is gonna be a toy car and not a daily driver and more than likely used on a track.

Also found this site Is this more of a rip or legitmate resaonable cost for that performance. As I was going over this site I noitced alot of warnings saying "off road use only" not sure if this is on all the parts or just certin ones.

xcceleration is pretty good. One of the locals has had all his work to his 04 STi done there. But I just don't see the need to pay another person for labor when I can do something myself.

Here's ya a few more places to look through.

www.cobbtuning.com

www.boxer4racing.com

Oh and for off road use only is a disclaimer they must put on illegal parts so they can legally sell them.

how bad or good it is

I raised and educated 4 kids, a doctor, a civil engineer, a veterinarian, and a guy that works for the UN.

I hold what is called a class "A", "C", "M" and "H" mechanic license(s).

Retired @38, but not from "playing mechanic".

I have seen ones hit about 700whp, But those were built for racing.

But probally for me no more than 500whp but probally in the range of 375-425 or so.

Note: This is gonna be a toy car and not a daily driver and more than likely used on a track.

Ok, hate to be a realist here, but I don't think you are really going to do any of this. Sounds all pie in the sky unless you have bags of money laying around. Big power is big money squared.

Your best bet is to get an EJ22T or EJ20(G?) longblock and keep their respective heads. Get the correct ECU wired up for it (ideally, just go standalone). Then get it tuned with a TD05-H 16G, you can find those tons of places. You will need some supporting mods, fuel pump & injectors, etc...

You will easily get 240-280 whp out of this kind of setup with tuning. 300+ whp is not easy to do without $$$ (to get there or start breaking parts). And at those power levels the giant turbo you'll need has lag that starts to kill off mostly but straightline or roadcourse duties.

Even with this route I outlined, you are looking at $3-4k bare minimum. By the way even 200whp would be wicked fast and quite fun. Most of the guys that build 500+ whp cars like throwing money away so they can have their ego stroked for having a car that makes xxx whp on whatever brand name dyno.

Was going to school for diesel, then was gonna keep performance and other auto stuff to a hobby so I'm not really mixing the 2. As for the car the 500+ mark would be about 30k or to build, but for 300 or so it would be about 4k or so with getting the engine being able to handle the pressure. So I will probally readjust the power goal to a max of 350 but a range of 275-300.

I would use an STI 2.5 and 6-speed if my budget allowed, and swap the whole drivetrain/dash/ecu/brakes etc into a GC. I figure it will cost $12k or so to do it myself. 300hp without touching a thing on the motor.

This:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

along with the other technical forums on nasioc, will give you a good idea of what people are using and what kind of numbers they're getting.

There are a lot more people over there building fast soobs.

I think you're severely underestimating the cost to have a hobby track car, especially one with 300hp. Come back when you have all that cash burning a hole in your pocket. Until then, if you want to window shop:

Crawford

i-speed

world one

racecomp engineering

oakos

etc...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

I'm trying to plan on the build and see how much it's gonna cost me for certin goals. But a moajority of the sti's in the area are fairly new and outta the price range anywhere in the future.

As for an update on parts to be done:

Block:

EJ22 E or T

Pistions:

EJ22T

Cams:

stock for the heads

Heads:

Stock for EJ22T

Exhaust:

For turbo 3in for N/A 2.5in

This will also include some other parts as well. Still trying to decide if it will be an all motor or forced injection.

Plan for about 500-800 depending on miles and such.

Or, if you are willing to travel, going to a place of low demand will net you an entire car fairly cheap (my Legacy Sport Sedan was less than $400).

I got mine for $250 in rough shape, but with a spare ej22t with blown h/g to boot I couldn't complain. I resold it local made money, and kept extra engine...

Honestly, since you seem to have a desire for lots of power, NA will be a big waste of money. You'll need the same money for turbo 300 whp to get 200 crank with NA. I think you get the point, money jumps REALLY quick to get mere stock turbo power. The fastest 2.5RS all motor car I have seen runs stock WRX times...

If you have NA, just leave it stock until you get the turbo engine. Hundreds and thousands of young people have found this out the hard way. They dump money they can't get back into an engine they end up changing later... and can't use the old stuff. For example: NA headers then you have to sell them for pennies on the dollar because turbo exhaust is completely different.