Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On my 97 Legacy wagon, one of the brake caliper pins has a rubber tip on the end, the other one is just a metal pin which one is the guide pin and which one is the lock pin? and which one goes on the bottom and which one goes on top.

On my 97 Legacy wagon, one of the brake caliper pins has a rubber tip on the end, the other one is just a metal pin which one is the guide pin and which one is the lock pin? and which one goes on the bottom and which one goes on top.

Just happened to have a copy of the Hayne's manual for the Legacy checked out from the library - scanned the page with the exploded view. If this isn't clear let us know....

Opps. Had to delete some of my other attachments before this one took - here it is. Yes, the Caliper Guide pin goes on top (its a the pin thats fixed to the caliper support bracket and slides into the caliper body sleeve with the metal cap and the rubber pressure/bleeder tip). Lock pin on the bottom.

LegacyBrakeCaliper.zip

Thanks it looks like the one with the rubber tip goes on top.

Just happened to have a copy of the Hayne's manual for the Legacy checked out from the library - copied the page with the exploded view. If this isn't clear let us know....

the lower pin actually a bolt with a 14mm head. the upper pin threads into the caliper mounting bracket, it has 2 flat spots so you can put a wrench on it, and the upper rubber boots on t he caliper slide onto it.

That changed at some point between 96-98 depending on model.

dsc02182tf4.th.jpg 0510072018so2.th.jpg