Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheel bearing warranty question

i just bought a 99 rs and it needs alot of work...tonight i started taking apart the front left wheel for brakes and found out the wheel bearing is TOAST......i cant believe i was driving it like that, but anyways

i remember something about the RS' having a recall for a wheel bearing, what are the chances that i could have the dealership cover the cost of the bearing even tho im not the original owner?

and since im prolly going to tear out my knuckle tomorrow and take it to the shop, what kind of wheel bearing should i have them install? i think i read somewhere that the legacy ones are the best to use

thanks

-sean

Recalls folow the car, not the owner. If there is a recall on the car and it hasnt been fixed, you can stil get it fixed. The NTSB website has all the recalls.

nipper

do i have to bring the car to the dealership in order for them to fix it?

lol i guess im asking toob many questions...i'll just call them tomorrow

thanks

There's no recall, only some TSBs on updated procedures for replacing the bearings, and on using Legacy rear bearing on Impreza models. They actually tell you not to use a hydraulic press but do it on car with special tools.

Bearings used to be covered by 5/60 powertrain warranty but you're way past that.