Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 wagon no title what to do with her????

i recently traded my 390 ford engine and trans. for an 86 wagon awd but as far as i know it has no title. or at least it cant be found. it is a ga. car. so if it is over a certain year they dont have titles. i wonder if can i get a title for it, would like to use it for something. i know it has no carb, for me not a problem. i work for advance. what do you guys think if i cant get title for her? would like some ideas. really dont want to part her out. so please chime in with your ideas? if any one has an idea on how to get a title please feel free. thanks everyone:cool:

In most states you can go apply for a title for a lost vehicle. You might need a bill of sale from whomever you got the car from but other than that and a little cash its usually doable but may be time consuming. Check your states DMV websites.

Yeah just like Shawn said, You can get a title! You just have to go thru the times ya know.. Anyhoo about ideas yeah it's a wagon and 4WD so your in good hands. You have to add a good offroad rack and a brush guard. And then some offroad lights. Then since you need a carb you should go with a holly or etalbrook or something.. maybe just OEM will be good. And then you should see about a 2" lift some 14" 4 lug Peugeot rims. And you should be pretty much set:)

i ended up with an 87 gl wagon from the ba/be rally (http://www.baberally.com)

the dudes who gave it up had it registered in new hampshire with no title(older than 10 or 15 years)

supposedly in wisconsin i can title it with a hand written bill of sale. in indiana you have to have a police VIN affidavit for out of state cars even with title

i ended up with an 87 gl wagon from the ba/be rally (http://www.baberally.com)

the dudes who gave it up had it registered in new hampshire with no title(older than 10 or 15 years)

supposedly in wisconsin i can title it with a hand written bill of sale. in indiana you have to have a police VIN affidavit for out of state cars even with title

In IN they don't necsesaraly(sp?) do that any more. If you have a title for an out of state car the BMV just wants to see the vins match, of course you have to have the car there for them to look at.

To the OP, you should be able to apply for "lost title" with a bill of sale.

Here in Wisconsin, the last registered owner is the only one who can file for a lost Title. Unless you are a land owner, and someone abandons a car on you're property. Then there is a process for filling an abandoned property claim.

Make the guy who suppposedly owns the car apply for a replacement title. He is just being Lazy or there is something up if he won't do it. Don't take the car without a title. Even if you part it out, a J-Yard won't take the hulk when you're done without a title. You'll end up with some permanent lawn rust.

yueah but without a title there's no proof that you own the car! Ok so you'v got the bill of sale! So what. That's what the cops are going to say!

I wouldent even bother with the car. If the owner does not want to get the title for you then there's something wrong!:slobber:

There is no such thing as "can't get a title," unless someone else has legal claim to the car..just go to your secretary of state, DMV, or whatever they call it in Florida, and find out what hoops you need to jump through to get a replacement title. Probably gonna need a cop to verify VIN and sign some paperwork at the very worse.

If the car DOES turn out to be stolen, you won't need to worry about whether to part it out or off-road it, 'cuz it won't be your property..that'd suck, but not as bad as being caught driving or parting out a stolen vehicle.

Let this be a learning experience..NEVER fork over cash without documentation. If all you can get is a receipt, make sure that the seller signs it, make sure the VIN appears on it, and make sure to add the seller's DL number and address as they appear on his license..if they balk, walk.

it is not impossible to get a title for a vehicle that you own, but the previous owner never had the title to, in the state of florida.

But it isnt easy.

however, my dad has had a certain old japanese sportscar that HE owns, registered and insured using the title to MY "certain old japanese sportscar" despite the fact that its a different year and color car; he was having difficulties getting the title for his car and as a stop-gap, so he could get it on the road (he needed it for DD) I signed my title over to him, listed price as zero/gift, he re-titled MY VIN and put the tag on his car. He managed to slip it through the cracks.

This is NOT LEGAL. but it can work, heh.. Personally, I have never had a cop check my VIN, and I have had several run ins with the po-po.

You're lucky..in Michigan anyway, a VIN check is pretty much SOP with any traffic stop. And you can forget the "pretty much" with ORV's, it IS standard operating procedure for those here. Too many people think "gee I can't get a title, so I'll just take it off-road!" I reckon..

I got caught offroading one of my cousin's Baja Bugs of questionable heritage, got to spend a fun fifteen minutes in the back of the nice ranger's Bronco in handcuffs before everything was cleared up..luckily it was a small town and my cuz was tight with the local LEO's, or I'd have spent the night in a stone hotel and his Bug woulda been impounded.

I am still chuckling at this phrase, having seen it in type now....

ranger's Bronco

Lucky or no, its just skirting the system. Sooner or later all of the last little loopholes like that are gonna get closed, alas. yay, progress :dead:

The car is old enough that International title in Las Vegas NV. might be able to help you . here's a link to their site

http://www.its-titles.com/firefox/index.htm

Hope that helps , good luck!

Man, after looking at that site, I wouldn't touch that place with a ten-foot pole. Assuming they're legit, why the heck do they charge different prices for different vehicles? It's all the same paperwork! Why do they wanna know how your vehicle is optioned? And the big question, why would anyone EVER consider granting power of attorney and/or ownership of their vehicle to some mail-order/internet service that's (assuming they're legit) just gonna do what you COULD do for yourself if you just got off your lazy duff and made a trip to the local copshop and/or DMV?

Creepy.

Man, after looking at that site, I wouldn't touch that place with a ten-foot pole. Assuming they're legit, why the heck do they charge different prices for different vehicles? It's all the same paperwork! Why do they wanna know how your vehicle is optioned? And the big question, why would anyone EVER consider granting power of attorney and/or ownership of their vehicle to some mail-order/internet service that's (assuming they're legit) just gonna do what you COULD do for yourself if you just got off your lazy duff and made a trip to the local copshop and/or DMV?

Creepy.

Awww, C'mon....

No one in VEGAS is out to rip you off!!!!!!

pod53.jpg

Actually, I guess I have to eat my words..talked to a bunch of folks today, all of 'em seemed to know someone who had a good experience with that ITS place..it still seems to me like it'd be something on the fringes of legality though, and it's an awful lotta green to spend to get someone else to jump thru your hoops.