Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about replacing motor mounts

I'm curious about whether you need to actually remove the engine to replace the mounts, or if you can just support it enough (maybe with a jack or something) to slip the mounts out and slip the new ones in. Draining the coolant and undoing and redoing all those connections doesn't sound like a lot of fun if I can avoid it.

When replacing the mounts, is it necessary to also replace those round rubber baby buggy bumpers at the rear? Do they wear out enough to cause problems?

I'm curious about whether you need to actually remove the engine to replace the mounts, or if you can just support it enough (maybe with a jack or something) to slip the mounts out and slip the new ones in. Draining the coolant and undoing and redoing all those connections doesn't sound like a lot of fun if I can avoid it.

When replacing the mounts, is it necessary to also replace those round rubber baby buggy bumpers at the rear? Do they wear out enough to cause problems?

`

I'm not sure what you are asking about at the end. Are you meaning the pitch stopper? If so, yes those do sometimes wear out over time.

If you are so inclined now whould be a good time to replace the transmission mount as well. If you are a spirited driver a weak transmission mount can lead to transmission troubles as well.

STi Group N mounts are direct replacement for all of the mounts on your car, and they are not really expensive. If you haven't checked into them they are worth a look.

I'm not sure what you are asking about at the end. Are you meaning the pitch stopper? If so, yes those do sometimes wear out over time.

There are two round cushions on the back that are very, very expensive. Those are the ones I was talking about.

Thanks so much for the link. The procedure was about what I'd planned on doing, but with a couple of refinements. The pictures help a lot.